iOS 3.1 Using redsn0w 0.9.2 on ipt3

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Zagorath, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Zagorath

Zagorath New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    After taking a long time to make the decision, I've decided that I want to jailbreak my iPod Touch. I've also decided not to wait for it to be untethered, which took me a long time to make.

So I downloaded redsn0w 0.9.2, and ran the .exe. It then came up with a message asking me to select my IPSW. That's where the problem is. I haven't got a clue where to find it. I did a bit of research, and one person said it should be in
    Code:
    %ROOT%\Documents and Settings\%USER%\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPod Software Updates
    So I looked there, and I found four files. Two of them were available to be selected in the redsn0w application, so I tried both of them, but neither worked. It said "Unable to recognize specified IPSW."

The file names available were "iPod_31.1.0.3" and "iPod_130.1.0.4".

I've found other websites linking to what is supposedly the IPSW for other models, but not for the iPod Touch 3G, which is what I have.

What I want to know is, can anyone help me find where I can get the appropriate IPSW. And if not, would people recommend I go with blackra1n instead?

I am using an iPod Touch 32GB 3G. Part number is MC. I have iPhone OS 3.1.2.
  2. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

If you're using this with the 3G, per the naming convention you need the iPod3.1_3.1.2_[whatever].ipsw to jailbreak. It should be in that folder you linked - but if it's Vista, try /Users/(name here)/AppData/Roaming/Apple Software/iTunes/iPod Software Updates if I remember the path correctly. If you didn't download it before, then I'm not sure what to tell you, as those FW names sound like 3.0.3 for the 1G and 2G.
  3. Zagorath

Zagorath New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ah yes. I knew I forgot to mention something. No, I'm not on Vista, I'm on XP.
    There is no folder named AppData, only Application Data. And within that folder there is no "Roaming".
    It may (or may not) be worth noting that I'm using the software that it came with when I bought it. Other then that, I'm not sure if there's any information I can give...

Thanks for your help though

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Jarlath

If you're using the software it came with, then you probably didn't download Firmware 3.1.2. Keep in mind that, even if you can find the link to it on the Apple servers, it's no longer being digitally signed by Apple... so you'll have to register the SHSH keys with Cydia as soon as you get it.
  5. Cl8rs

Cl8rs Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Try this:

Hit the Windows key on the keyboard and the letter R
    Type in "%AppData%" (without the quotes)
    Hit ok.
    Now navigate to Apple Computer/iTunes/iPod Software Updates
  6. Zagorath

Zagorath New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ah yes. I thought that may be the case... How would I find it on the Apple servers, and is that the best way to get it?

No, sorry, that just takes me where I've already looked heaps of times. But thanks for trying.
  7. narwal13

narwal13 Active Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Just so ya know... its iPod 3.1_3.1.2_7D11.ipsw.

iPod touch 3G can be jb'ed with redsn0w, but you cannot have any custom boot logos and verbose boot.
  8. Zagorath

Zagorath New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks

Yeah, I know it can be done, but it requires that file, which I don't have on my computer.

Does anyone know where it can be downloaded from?
  9. Conken

Conken New Member

• Illegal/piracy-related discussions
    So it does work to jailbreak Ipod Touch 3G with redsn0w 0.9.2 ? If so, why havent anyone telled me that

lol

Does it work on 3.1.3.. Do anyone know that?

Btw you can download firmwares from here: *CUPCAKE*
  10. Jarlath

Per the news post on the front page and the iPhone-dev site you get redsn0w from, it DOES NOT WORK WITH 3.1.3. The original poster is doing 3.1.2, which is supported.

Beyond that, we do not allow links to third party sites hosting Apple-copyrighted software. I've edited your post as a result.