Using recordings as iPhone ringtones

Discussion in 'Application Ideas' started by Muffin15, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Muffin15

Muffin15 Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    ok, so, even though i just have a touch, sometimes i daydream about what i'd do with an iphone
    i was just doing this daydreaming and i thought, since i haven't heard of anything like it, that you should be able to record audio and apply that as your ringtone
    idk
    just an idea, thought some people might find it nifty
  2. darkfox_09

darkfox_09 New Member

You need a jailbroken iPhone. You also need to get iprorecorder from the appstore.
    Once you have the application and installed it, ssh into your device and go to this location.

/private/var/mobile/Applications

You will see this:

Please Register or Log in to view images

[/URL][/IMG]

You will have to check each folder to find iprorecorder like this:

Once you find the folder click into Documents and you will find the wav you had recorded. Now,

Drag the wav onto the desktop and open it up in Quicktime and goto File/SaveAs and save it as a self contained movie with the extension .m4r after:

When you press save it will come up with this window:

Click use both. On the desktop you should find the file with the extesion like this:

Change the extension to just .m4r, delete the .mov

it will ask you if you want to keep or change, click the button use .m4r. Then drag that file into:
    /Library/Ringtones

then access your ringtones setting on your phone and it should be there, plus you can rename your ringtone before you drag it over the ringtones folder..

You can also do this same technique to put full length Songs as ringtones, minus looking for the app folder
  3. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    to make steps 1 to 2 quicker open up teminal and type cd /private/var/mobile/Applications/*/iprorecorder.app that will get you straight to the app directory