Using 'real' peripherals?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Javarod, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Javarod

Javarod New Member

Ok, newbie here, and i don't see a forum specifically for hardware questions, so i'll toss this here.

Title says it mostly, but by real peripherals, i mean an actual monitor and keyboard. This sounds crazy until you realize that my entire computer use consists of:

email
    web surfing
    watching the occasional movie (mostly saved, but occasionally streaming)
    listening to music
    chatting with friends via IM

I use a wireless connection to the internet, wifi at home, and some manner of cellular modem when i'm on the road (fairly heavily). Obviously for the later that iPhone might do better, but i'm stuck in a contract for another year. With that said, as you see, my computer needs are quite modest, and it seems to me that a Touch would do the job just fine on the road, although at times it'd be nice to dock it into a larger monitor and a real keyboard. Is that something even possible? I don't think i've ever seen anything about doing that, nor heard anyone ask the same question.

Thanks,
  2. Maxtcc

Maxtcc Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Interesting Question. I would think that in the 3gen iPod touch the bluetooth should handle a bluetooth keyboard and mouse with pairing. as for the monitor their are cable for porting to rca inputs(red yellow white), composite video so that is no problem and or docking it with the appropriate dock with video output. I gave away my bt keyboard when I abandoned my pc. maybe i should borrow it and try this out.
    Has Anybody here tried this?

For files and such I just do them on my mac and then send them wirelessly to my iPod , so on second thought, I don't particularly think that I would have a use for this, most typing I do for things on the iPod are short and the landscaped keyboard is sufficient in size.

What would you use the keyboard for e-mails? or what?
  3. Javarod

Javarod New Member

Writing actually, i do some short stories (not admitting to what, nor where its posted). Right now i do it long hand on a pad, then do some editing as i type it up into my Mac mini (G4, first gen 'deluxe' model), cutting a step out of the process would be welcome. Frankly the monitor is more important than the keyboard for any use but that, and even the monitor is optional (though a bigger screen is a nice thing). Being able to use RCA outputs is a good thing, i could prolly use the TV as a monitor in many of the hotels i stay in, so it'd mean on my downtime i could surf the web, or watch movies.
  4. touch_iPod

touch_iPod Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    If you use Outlook, there is a possibility that you can use the "Notes" feature and after typing your stories, you can then sync the data into the same-name program on the iPod... That is at least much easier to type as compared with using that on-screen keyboard...

Of course the best is still to try out a BT-enabled keyboard and see whether it can pair with the iPod or not...
  5. Javarod

Javarod New Member

You mean there isn't an app for that?

Please Register or Log in to view images

Seriously, i just assumed there'd be some manner of note taking or text editor software, and with my minimal needs from the device, that combining that with a monitor and keyboard, i'd get all the computer i need, with my partner's computer cover any actual computer needs when i'm home.
  6. Maxtcc

Maxtcc Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I mis understood you , I thought it was a hardware question.

Yes there are many many writing apps, and note taking apps:

WritePad is a good one that I use ; it takes typing which if the keyboard is bluetooth enabled then you could use a full sized one instead of our finger,
    although WritePad also does handwriting, and handwriting recognition to type
    and it also has a quick e-mail shortcut.

I don't think that you would anything more than that one. But like I said there are at least 15 available and most let you try before you buy.
    WritePad was free by the way.