Using ipod while connected to USB, drains battery?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by happycat, Nov 22, 2007.

1. happycat

happycat New Member

Since itunes is a POS and won't let me sync with multiple computers, I'll have to listen to my ipod while having it connected to a usb port probably for 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Does the ipod use power straight from the usb or does it use power from the battery that is also being charged at the same time.

I don't want to weaken my battery from so much use...
  2. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

The touch does indeed go into charge mode when you connect to USB. You should be fine using it while connected. When I use mine connected to my iTrip it maintains and charges just fine.
  3. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

We got another one who knows nothing about portable electronics batteries! When it is plugged in to a USB port it draws power directly from the port and trickle charges the battery. That's why the battery icon changes from a lightning bolt to a power plug.
  4. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

It charges when plugged into USB. Also when in a dock, or certain speaker sets. Notice the battery icon changes.
  5. shydoc

shydoc New Member

The battery doesn't get drained cos you will be using the power straight from the power source.
  6. wan3212

wan3212 New Member

thanks, this has been helpful. what about if the battery has half power, than u plug it in. does it lose battery charge then?
  7. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

I'm not following where you're going with the question. It's been stated that the iPod goes into charge mode and runs off of the external USB power connection.
  8. AutoItKing

AutoItKing New Member

When you plug it in it charges, end of story.
  9. wan3212

wan3212 New Member

yes, but ive heard from several people its best to let an electronic devices battery to fully die, than charge it. this way the battery is "trained" to last longer
  10. Emanjl

Emanjl New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I believe this is only true with older versions of batteries. With new batteries (2007 - iPod touch) there is no such problem and so you can charge it every night when you get home without worry.