Using iPod Touch with 5a345 on a Linux computer

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by JacobE, Jul 1, 2008.

1. JacobE

JacobE New Member

Hi, I'm new to all of this iPod touch/iPhone jailbreaking and such, so please forgive me if my questions are stupid or already asked.

I have an iPod touch with firmware version 2.0 (5a345) on it. It was given to me by someone who had legitimate access to the firmware, so it wasn't put on via jailbreaking, it was put on via legitimate means. However, I almost wish that it had the old OS on it, because, from what I gather, there is no way to transfer music to 2.0 from linux, which is what I run on my computer. I have read that if I had a jailbroken ipod, it is possible to transfer music to my ipod, but I know that although it is possible to jailbreak 2.0 using pwnage, there are no apps for it.

Do I need any app to transfer music to my iPod? Is it at all possible to transfer music to it from linux?

Again forgive me for being a total noob, but please explain to me how/if I can do this, because I would really like to put my music on my iPod.
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I have 5A308 but would love 5A345 x]

But anyhoo, have you tried installing iTunes via Wine? I've heard some people being able to transfer music that way.

On Linux, to transfer music the native way, you need SSH, but since 2.0 isn't jailbroken, you're kinda screwed :\

So, either install Windows on a separate Partition just for music or Wine it.
  3. personman

personman Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Um.... Leave it on 5a345. Go on AIM. My AIM is gadgetsILV I'lll tell u everything u need 2 know.
  4. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Like you know how to transfer music to the device via Linux. Way to publicize your AIM SN gadgetsboyj, err I mean, Personman

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. personman

personman Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    I am typing from linux now.
  6. brisingr

brisingr New Member

kewl! Can I haz 5A345? An yea, just search. I am almost sure they have a tut.
  7. JacobE

JacobE New Member

Alright, I'm gonna try iTunes with wine right now, I'll let you guys know how it goes. I'm not too optimistic about it though--I've heard people say that it doesn't work.

Alright, well the good news is that the newest version of itunes runs fine under wine in linux, even plays music fine.

The bad news is that nothing happens when I plug my ipod touch in. It isn't getting mounted at all, which I feel could be part of the problem. Any ideas?
  8. nudded

nudded New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    wine has no support for usb, if i am not mistaking
  9. Teslanaut

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Ouch. I guess your only choice (Kinda) is to partition your drive and install Windows :\

Maybe Virtualizing Windows with VirtualBox or Q might work?
  10. JacobE

JacobE New Member

yeah that's the conclusion that I've come to as well. After my Last post last night I gave up and booted into windows to try it from there. It was only then that I realized that I also need iTunes 7.7 to update my music! Now I have to go bug the person who gave this to me to give me that as well.

[EDIT] Idea: Is it possible for me to use pwnage or similar tool to take a snapshot of my iPod, such that I could downgrade to 1.1.4 or something, and then when 2.0 has been thoroughly jailbroken, I can restore to 2.0? If so, what will happen to all the music that was preloaded on it when it was given to me, will I lose it? Will I lose it until I restore to 2.0? Is the process foolproof?