Using iPod to it's full potential.

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Pow3rbull, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Pow3rbull

Pow3rbull New Member

Hello all,

I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place, however:

Please, tell me what to do with my iPod once I bought it. I would like to use it to it's full potential. I WILL jailbreak it, ofcourse and I also have certain questions.

I'll start with this one: What is the difference between Winterboard and Summerboard?

For the rest; PLEASE inform me on what I can all do with my Touch, I REALLY REALLY would like to use it to it's full potential, like the pro users here!
    Inform me on must-have apps, must-have unofficial apps, certain things you'd like to share with me (and others) that enhance the iPod Touch EXPERIENCE! Thank you already for the posts to come! This will not only help me but others too, to use the touch to it's full potential. Thanks in advance!
  2. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Hello there! I wouldn't count myself as a "pro", but I've had my touch since December 2007. So, anyways, here's what I learned, and some answers to your questions.

Firstly, the best resource and the first thing you should read before you do anything is spoonforknife's iPod touch User's Manual. It's for the 1G iPod touch, but applies 99% to the second generation. [I wrote a section in that manual too]

Winterboard is for the 2.x [2.0, 2.1.1, 2.2.1, etc...], and SummerBoard is for 1.1.x [1.1.1, 1.1.2, 1.1.3, and 1.1.4]. Read more in the iPod touch User's manual.

It really is a great device and it's good you want to use it to it's fullest potential. I hate people who don't know what it can do and only use it for music.
  3. G8D

G8D New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I would recommend the 5 row, 5 column and 5 dock apps to greatly reduce the ammount of icons you have. Use catagories for the same reason.
    Obviously emulators for the nostalgia and the feeling that you just pwnt apple

Please Register or Log in to view images

[P.S. there are some decent rom source in Cydia but just google for more]
    Learn to SSH into your iPod, this will allow for greater customization and file access..
    SBSettings for easy access to brightness/wi-fi/etc and a few of your chosen normal apps.
    MxTube for downloading YouTube videos direct to iPod.
    dTunes for playing downloaded, but not yet synced, songs.

Have fun.

Also download "Steffwiz" from Cydia and then install "All Sources" for maximum access to packages

4. Pow3rbull

Pow3rbull New Member

Well I currently own an iPod Nano 3G, I got it since February '08 and it's not hard to use that one to it's full potential. I also thought about trading in my HTC Touch Diamond, and buy an 3G iPhone but decided that having the best of both worlds is an better choice.

Thanks for answering that question.

Does anyone know how far the Dev-team is with an un-tethered (so no redsn0w, but rebooting as much as you want without pc and all the hazzle) jailbreak? I liked how quickpwn worked (i didn't use it, but saw it multiple times on youtube). Will there be a jailbreak before July? Maybe in quickpwn?

Btw, I know nobody can exafctly predict what is Apples next step, but my birthday is on July 26th (yes, i'm already planning for it! roflmao!

) and I was wondering should I wait till september to (if it even comes) get an 3g touch (not on 3g network, im not stupid

).

Also, if I do happen to be wanting to jailbreak it through redsn0w, I read that is was NOT for NOOBS.

I can run Google Android on my Diamond through an linux-bootloader. Am I then considered as a noob or will I manage to do the redssn0w (with or without cyw00ds GUI)

So many questions.. damn!

------------------double post merged------------------
    No I won't probably install those, as I like the iPods GUI as is. Though after a few weeks I probably have no other choice (I already downloaded a total of 1gb in apps, and no, not c**** apps but un-approved by apple and free apps nd stuff.

I will probably be buying the 16gb (14,52 actual) because i counted my music collection is now 2,10 gb. I made it into 4 so I have room to expand that one. Then i counted my current videos. 5,33gb. As I dón't need that many as ive already watched them I didnt leave it room to expand, cuz i prob wont go over the 5gb.
    14,52 - 4 - 5 = 5,52
    That'd leave me with 5,52gb of space for apps. Now that will sure be enough for me I think.

Am I able to make maps, as you can only get 9 'tables' of apps? So an map called games and when i click on that map my map with game apps come and another map with 'fun' or that sort of thing? I think i saw an youtube video with somebody that had that. Can i do that once i jailbroke it?
  5. G8D

G8D New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    At the above post:
    You can do this, its called Catagories, as I already recommended

6. friedmannn

friedmannn New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    redsn0w is very easy to apply, especially with all the tutorials / GUIs.
  7. 560cool

560cool Member

makeitmine is cool. and SBsettings. i won't spoil so sarch on cydia

8. flips30240

flips30240 New Member

if you are using a mac i do not recommend using a gui jailbreak tool. i had no problems using redsn0w and the terminal took 5 minutes if you dont count making the pwned firmware. but i tried several gui's and none of them worked. if on pc i recommend cyw00d

. as for must get apps and tools: categories,winterboard(if on 2.x.x) summerboard(if on 1.x.x) and ultimate leopard 3.2(theme for winterboard)
  9. Pow3rbull

Pow3rbull New Member

Late reaction form my side, but I have the 3G iPhone and pwned it using QuickPWN 2.2.5. I have Bossprefs for my wifi/3g/edge switching, and winterboard for fun. Also, f course cydia, installer (which i don' t use to i ' poofed' it away using bossprefs), and icy.

for the rest nothing special.. winterboard only for showcasing but i always revert back to original within 2 mins.