Using Iphone as a Itouch.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by starcraftjunkie, Sep 10, 2010.

1. starcraftjunkie

starcraftjunkie New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    My friend bought an Iphone 4g from his friend but realised he cannot afford to switch and use it on AT&T, so he offered to sell it to me. I was woundering if I can restore it and pull the sim card and use it as a Itouch? He was offering it cheaper then I can buy a new Itouch, seeing as how I dont have an Itouch anymore. It's already activated, so what risks are there if his friend reports the serial to apple, and phone number to AT&T as stolen?

If this is possible, what should I look for besides looking over if it works right (and connects to wifi and syncs to itunes) and does not have water damage?
  2. Spam

Spam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Check the headphone port and see if the silver dot inside turned orange. if not, then its all good.

You can pop in any activated SIM card into the phone and it will work. Youll need to cut it to micro-SIM size though. I think however you can just switch airplane mode on and use it like so as a iPod Touch
  3. starcraftjunkie

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well you see, I use a CMDA phone and I do not wish to go GSM. Thus I do not have an activated SIM card besides the one that will already in it. But I suspect that when he does cancel the plan on the iphone (reguardless of reporting it stolen or not) that the SIM card will be deactivated. Correct?

tl;dr - If there is no SIM card will iphone 4g still play apps or music?
  4. tech3475

tech3475 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I am not sure about in the States, but in the UK you can get working PAYG sim cards with no credit for £1, so you could just get a cheap AT&T sim and use that.
  5. Spam

Spam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    if he lets you keep the SIM card that's already in his phone then you won't need to get another card.
  6. starcraftjunkie

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Alright, so the sim card its self provides basic activation (apps, music etc). But an activated sim card provides data such as call and moble web etc?

Okay, I'll buy it then. I need an iPod for music.