Using gameshark on gpSPhone!

Discussion in 'Gameboy Advance emulator (gpSPhone)' started by leogurl723, Jan 3, 2008.

1. leogurl723

leogurl723 New Member

Hi guys, just in case anyone out there is a little code-happy like me and wanted to figure how to use gameshark codes (and probably codebreak and action replay) on gpSPhone, I've spent a couple of hours fiddling around and I've finally had success. At first I downloaded a gameshark rom for GBA, but you know how they ask you on GameShark to flip the switch to the right to use it?? Yea, so I was stuck (stupid me :rolleyes:)

Anyway, I decided to find a way to get my gameshark codes onto my game, and then get it right back on my iPod Touch. I tested it multiple times before using my actual files, because lord knows I didn't want to lose my precious game history. Just for some reference, as you know, the actual roms have a .gba file extension, the battery files (which I think the actual game saves) is .sav, and saving the snapshots on gpSPhone leaves you with .svs. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!) I'm a little obsessive with my saving, so both .svs and .sav show up in my Media-->ROMs-->GBA folder. To get your codes onto your iPod Touch, you need to make sure you save your game internally (i.e. within the actual game rather than saving the snapshot via gpSPhone. This will leave you with a .sav file.

Okay blah blah blah, let me get to the point... I'm going to list the directions using my example of Harvest Moon. By the way, I'm not quite sure if this will work for Mac

IMPORTANT: I'd practice first on a game you don't care so much about!! :eek:
    1. Google and download VisualBoyAdvance also known as VBA (which is a GBA emulator for the PC).

2. Open your GBA folder, copy Harvest Moon.gba AND Harvest Moon.sav to a temporary folder on your Desktop. (Please make sure you have the temporary folder, just in case!)

3. Drag the Harvest Moon.gba file into VBA, this should open it.

4. It might make you start the game and go through the introductions, if so, I'm terribly sorry. Regardless, LOAD your game to your last save point. It was accessible for Harvest Moon, hopefully it's acccessible for you all as well.

5. In VBA, go to Cheats...Cheatlist... and input your codes. It's decently easy, figure it out for yourself lol.

6. Then, make sure your codes went through. For my Harvest Moon game, my whole farm was tilled, yayyy

7. Then SAVE your game INTERNALLY!! (obviously this is critical)

8. In VBA, go to Options...Emulators...Directories. In Directories, go to the Battery: section, click Browse, and choose your Desktop as the root, just to make things easy and safe.

9. After you do this, in VBA, go to File...Export...Battery File. A dialogue box will open up, and it SHOULD have the regular game name in it (e.g. "Harvest Moon"). Don't modify anything if this is the case. Save. There should be Harvest Moon.sav on your Desktop, and if you shouldn't have had to overwrite anything if you made the temporary folder on your Desktop in the beginning.

10. Open up your FTP thingy (My weapon of choice is WinSCP). Drag the Harvest Moon.sav on your DESKTOP to your GBA folder. The FTP client should ask if you want to overwrite. Do it mannn. :cool: (Say yes.)

11. Then, take the original Harvest Moon.gba (cause it's kinda sorta different now) that you put in the temporary folder, and drag it into the GBA folder, and say yes to overwriting.

12. Tu as fini! Try that baby out and let me know if there are any problems. (On the iPod Touch, you should go to gpSPhone and go to "All games" rather than "Saved Games." Trust me. Start it up, even if you have to go through all the introduction crap from your game, and LOAD your last save point (which would be the last thing you saw on VisualBoyAdvance).

Good luck!
  2. Joseph

Joseph Retired Moderator

Awesome tutorial ^^
    Thanks for sharing, Finally wooh xD!
  3. leogurl723

leogurl723 New Member

i should probably have posted this in "emulators" lol...
  4. nightfall

nightfall New Member

Was this method not posted long ago? Only no one bothered to make a tutorial. However congrats to you for doing this :) .
  5. SynnR

SynnR New Member

In Metroid Fusion all my cheats except invincibility work.. :/
  6. PhoisGOOD

PhoisGOOD New Member

when i did the battery thing i clicked save , on my desktop wasnt there
    woops internally not file save xD
    didnt work for me [ saved games], started at main menu with no continue while the vba has the continue
    ahahha went to all games and it owrked?
  7. shepdogg

shepdogg Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    wat is gameshark
  8. bentnuts6

bentnuts6 New Member

Thanks for sharing this although im not sure if i would use cheats.. hehe blergh
  9. SynnR

SynnR New Member

Gameshark is a kind of GBA utility that allows you to enable cheats on other GBA games using codes.
  10. Fiddlex

Fiddlex New Member

I got "The 1M sub-circuit board is not installed" when i tryed to open a rom?