using an ipod touch in linux

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by elan, Jul 3, 2008.

1. elan

elan New Member

Does any one know what WILL work, because i have tried gtkpod which all it has done is screwed my touches db files, then i tried to run itunes in wine but that didnt work, then my latest and closest attempt at success was vmware, but sadly only the beta of 2.0 has usb 2.0 support and as some of you know itunes dislikes usb 1.0 with the touch, so thats where i am stuck, i dont want to upgrade to vmware beta unless i know it will work.
    could someone also link me to the proper version of gtkpod, the one that doesn't screw the pooch, and if there is a modification for wine then please point it out to me.
  2. JonnySK

JonnySK Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Try AmaroK - Here
  3. FatherVic

FatherVic New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I use a laptop on the road that is linux so when i want to get my new podcasts or watch a new video on the way home, I tried to use amarok, but it was not that simple. You have to either create an ad-hoc network or be on the same network. The Ipod Touch will not work via usb, but rather sshfs. There are some supporting files to install on linux, and overall it can be complicated and challenging to configure it properly. It took me 3 hrs to get mine set up to work and I can't even remember how I did it. It works but it messes up my album art and sometimes crashes. So, I use sshfs to mount the ipod and then copy files over that I want like video and podcast files. Then, I use Finder and AVPlayer to view or listen. But I still use my Windows machine and Itunes for my main playlist and such or when I am at home.