using a wi fi dongle to connect ipod to pc internet

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tamalsen, Jun 8, 2009.

1. tamalsen

tamalsen New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    hey guys, i am a complete noob, so please bear with me- i have an ipod touch 2g 16gb model, and i finally jailbroke it using redsn0w 0.3.
    I know it worked because i can see the cydia icon now.
    Now, i want to install BossPref and OpenSSH. But most tutorials that i can find are using wi fi. This brings me to my real problem. I use a cable internet connection, i dont have wi fi. What i want to do is to use a wi fi dongle that i bought(netgear) and set up an ad hoc network so my ipod can access the internet via my computers net connection. Now, using the ad hoc settings in netgear, the ipod says its connected but cannot access the internet. I dont know the manual settings , that is how to do it manually through windows.Could anyone PLEASE help me out. Many thanks in advance. BTW, i am have a windows XP service pack 2 setup . Is there any other information i will need to provide?
  2. kyle hultgren

kyle hultgren Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  3. Sitruss

Sitruss New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Get a router?

Alternatively

Please Register or Log in to view images

bridge your LAN and WLAN in your internet connections window. Highlight both and right click, when the menu pops up select bridge and watch the magic happen, usually takes a couple of minutes and sometimes some configuring.
  4. tamalsen

tamalsen New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    okay, will try that, but out of curiosity, is there any step by step instruction for setting up an ad hoc wifi connection manually in windows, then connecting it with the ipod? i want to try that if anyone has had any success with it.
  5. keegan123

keegan123 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  6. tamalsen

tamalsen New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    its official , bridging the connections didnt work, tried a bunch of times.no success. if the wifi works, the lan connection goes off and vice versa. isnt there any thread addressing this particular issue in ipodtouchfans?
  7. N00d13s

N00d13s New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    look up an Internet Connection Sharing tutorial, i've done it before between a laptop and desktop while waiting for my router.
  8. Coasterboi

Coasterboi New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    You should look into getting a wireless router. Having wifi in your home is great for when you're in the other room and wish to browse on your device.

Please Register or Log in to view images