Using a FireWire dock connector...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Martyn_, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Martyn_

Martyn_ New Member

Hello, first post here, I've tried searching but can't find anything similar...

I've just bought a 2G iPod Touch (loving it!), it's an upgrade from a retro second generation classic iPod, the first one with the touch sensitive wheel and the buttons around the wheel.
    Anyway, obviously having that for ages, I've got a few accessories with it, wall charger, car charger etc, but they're all FireWire.

If I was to buy a FireWire dock connector, would it charge my new Touch? I've read in a few places that the new stuff doesn't sync across the FireWire connectors, but that doesn't bother me, I'd only be synching it at home anyway, it'd just be nice to be able to charge it in the car or at work from a wall socket.

Thanks in advance!
  2. dantuma

dantuma New Member

Charging iPod touch 2g

i had the same problem with my 2g iPod touch......none of my firewire connectors worked (car charger, wall charger, not even firewire into the computer) that had worked on my touch 1g. i had purchased the A/V cables for tv hookup from Apple a few months before purchasing the 2g and they had came with a usb plug and adapter......the usb works great in the computer and the wall, i see they sell the usb wall chargers which ultimatelywork in the computer as you know......now just to find a car charger......i hear Belkin makes a few that work (unfortunately i had the old one that worked with the 1g.....no more rocking on road trips for me, unless the rest stops have a wall outlet i can use for 30 minutes, haha)
  3. Flipzter

Flipzter Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Firewire is a dying interface. Since the 5g ipod release you havent been able to sync with firewire. Now they have dropped charging with firewire on the 2g touch/iphone. Get usb chargers.
    And, you can buy chargers that go in the "cigarette lighter" that have usb outlet. Just plug in your cable and charge away.
  4. murphmanny

murphmanny Banned

firewire 800 ftw