iOS 3.1 userland jailbreak

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by freedomfighter452, Apr 28, 2010.

1. freedomfighter452

freedomfighter452 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    what exactly is it? is it really a jailbreak you can use from your browser? i had thought that comex said it wasnt one like that? sorry im not very techy with this kinda stuff so im curious on what exactly this is.
  2. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    A userland jailbreak is a jailbreak which runs in the same level as apps and such. Its different to a bootrom jailbreak which runs far lower and are unpatchable on a device one they're made. Userland jailbreaks can be patched out at any time during a device's lifetime by a simple software update.

Back in the olden days, there was a userland jailbreak which ran in the browser, from what I've seen however, this will not be a browser based jailbreak.
  3. MrDodi

MrDodi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    And it can also patched out by iTunes or iTunes Software Update (Update 9.1.1 etc.) cause itunes is able to detect these
  4. freedomfighter452

freedomfighter452 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    so if i just have itunes 9.1 and not 9.1.1 i should be ok? so this is such a low level jailbreak that it can be patched by itunes?
  5. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Musclenerd warned on twitter to stay away from iTunes updates until its clear what the update will do to the jailbreak. iTunes can detect and remove userland jailbreaks, it could detect bootrom jailbreaks but its much harder for iTunes to actually do anything about it.

Usually when an iTunes update comes out, its best to see what the dev team says about it before rushing to update
  6. ipNinja

ipNinja New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    No its a high-level JB
  7. freedomfighter452

freedomfighter452 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    it must be low if itunes can patch it by itself
  8. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It must be high if iTunes can patch it. Low level is good in exploit terms.

EDIT: Wheeeey, that was my 1000th post ;D
  9. freedomfighter452

freedomfighter452 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Ooo alright i see what u mean
  10. chaoscreater

chaoscreater New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Is there a possibility that Apple release fake changelog or release notes for a new iTunes update? Or they could just not post notes about anything that is related to jailbreak security fixing etc.....i mean, why should they, it's like to warn people that jailbroke their iDevices on purpose.....

So my point is, won't people still get tricked somehow?? I know for Windows Vista or 7, Microsoft released a security patch that seemed like it was just something minor, but actually caused black screens or locked the whole system to prevent it from booting, or something like that....

Anyway i hope the jailbreak for 3G devices come out soon....i'm sick of waiting...