User root has disappeared

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.4 Jailbreak' started by galio, Jun 19, 2008.

1. galio

galio New Member

Yesterday I had the stupid idea of, given that the root password of vt100 didn't coincide with the one used via SSH, changing the root password by making an auto-SSH. I mean, I put in the terminal "ssh localhost -l root", logged in with "alpine" and then run the "passwd" command.

As soon as I put a new password, the iPod freezed and started rebooting Springboard once and again. If trying to login as root in the Terminal, it says now that user root doesn't exist. The system settings also seem to have changed, since the language changed from Spanish to English. Springboard will show the "Edit home screen" message each time it resets (~20 seconds)

I've searched via Google in these forums but coudn't find my problem, excuse me if it has already been discussed. Does anyone has any solution other than restoring and jailbreaking again? I can login from the desktop PC via SSH, although it goes extremely slow.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Tyr0

Tyr0 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    try to login as "su" with pass "alpine"
  3. galio

galio New Member

It gives me no time for using vt100, it reloads Springboard compulsively. I managed to login via SSH from the desktop PC, with user root and password alpine, and it let me in. I run "passwd" and confirmed alpine as password. Then it made a full reset and again with the same problem.
  4. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    get the iphone lenolabs source and there is a fix for it
  5. galio

galio New Member

Thanks, but I can't use Installer. It isn't a problem only with the Terminal; the whole system seems to be continually reloading (spinning wheel) and even rebooting. Moreover, when I plug the USB cable the iPod doesn't enter in "charging" mode.
  6. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

It doesn't seem to neccessarily seem to be a problem with the commands you ran, it seems to be an uncommon problem where the "Edit Home Screen" message continuosly comes up after the iPod resprings, which it does automatically.

If the iPod is recognized by iTunes, I would just try a restore as that is the simplest way to get rid of it. I believe you could possibly do away with it from some fooling around, but I'm not sure and would say a restore (Maybe a DFU restore to be safe) would solve the SSH + Respringing problems.