User made Firmware

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by willymcsilly, Feb 1, 2008.

1. willymcsilly

willymcsilly New Member

Well lately Iv been messing around with modded versions of windows XP and vista on my computer, and I was wondering would it be possible to creat a whole new firmware for the ipod I think that would be very neat. If you can do it with windows software it must be possible with the Ipod Firmware. Just imagine being able to get a whole different look to your ipod without losing funtionality.....just something to think about
  2. iSecks

iSecks New Member

Possible? Yes.
    Easy? Not one bit. First you have to make it run, then you have to make it interface with all the hardware [WiFi chip, other stuff that I don't feel like saying], then you have to get it to run apps [In the same way as the iPod already does, or else it won't work well]. Not to mention trying to keep up with Apple's firmware updates, and interfacing with iTunes.

By the way, that's alot harder then it sounds. ^_^
  3. TouchyFish

TouchyFish New Member

Oh willymcsilly, you and your mcsilly ideas!

Haha, that was lame, I know.

New firmware would be ridiculous. They did it with the old iPods, it was called iPod linux and it kind of sucked. I'm pretty happy with the current firmware, don't really know what I'd like to change. Maybe having the home screen in landscape mode with a new layout would be kinda neat.

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. beno

beno New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    The main reason for creating another firmware would be to change the look.... But we can already do that with customize, summerboard etc. It would be a fun project but there's no real necessity for it right now.
  5. plg6067

plg6067 New Member

if apple comes out with a new firmware with new features, instead of figuring out how to jailbreak that firmware you could just add the new stuff to the customized firmware I guess. thats kinda like what ppl do with customized psp firmwares
  6. super51fan

super51fan Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    i would be hard because apple verifies the filmware that you put on your ipod
  7. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I made a thread about this a couple of months ago. The general response was that it's not possible because Apple checks the firmware images are legit before letting them near your ipod.

As we have access to terminal on the ipod, I wonder if it is possible for someone to partition the ipods large disk and install linux compiled for ARM...?
  8. beno

beno New Member

Device:
    iPod touch

Yeah that's what I pretty much meant by there's not a necessity for it now.
  9. willymcsilly

willymcsilly New Member

hmm thanks for the replys Im quite satisfied with the current state of my iPod but i was just wondering thanks for the enligtenment

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. Vee

Vee New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Woah woah. Hold your horses. Who said we had to make one from scratch?

We could use the current Default firmware for a template and modify parts we wanted changed. We've kinda done it already, with the Installer.app being intergrated on all Jailbrokens.

It will happen. It happened to the PSP, it'll happen here.