Useful Links, FAQ's, Etc.

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Theodosius, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    After getting tired of seeing repeated questions etc, I decided to make a large compilation of many tutorials, links, and FAQ's, also thought it would be a good way to get my 100th post.

iPod Touch Guide

Written By: Touchfan1234

The Jailbreak:
    Before jailbreaking, you should know what it is:
    • It is a way to get custom themes
    • It is a way to get tweaks that Apple does not allow (Backgrounder)
    • It gives you access to Cydia, and Rock
    • You can download apps not allowed by Apple
    • You can run emulators

Onto the process of jailbreaking. A detailed guide is here, A discussion thread can be found here. The current jailbreak for the 3rd gen iPod Touch is blackra1n (There is also redsn0w now). It is a tethered jailbreak. There is no other jailbreak that isn't tethered currently. There is now Spirit, which is untethered for ALL devices. It's as simple as blackra1n too. If you are wondering, a jailbreak is not harmful to your device if you have any common sense. Any apps from the App Store, and Music on your iPod will not be affected in any way, unless you restore. When restoring (in case you encounter any problems) your device will return to factory settings.

In regards to your warranty (Apple provides a 1-year warranty with the purchase of the iPod, regardless of where you purchase it) jailbreaking does void it, no matter if you purchased Apple Care. However, with a simple restore, the warranty is no longer void, as all traces of the jailbreak are lost.

The process of jailbreaking this wonderful device is not illegal (Apple will try it's best to make it seem illegal) you can do illegal things with the jailbreak (Pirating, which is against the rules to be discussed in these forums).

*When upgrading the iPod, you will lose your jailbreak.

Now that you have all your questions answered, and succesfully jailbroken your iPod, what should you do?
    1. Download 'Cydia' or 'Rock' from the Blackra1n app you will now find on your springboard.
    2. Now in Cydia or Rock you can download custom themes (Apply them in Winterboard).
    3. You can download apps, and tweaks in Cydia and Rock also.

*No wi-fi? Want to still use cydia? Go here.

*Rock is a slimmed down version of Cydia. I personally use Rock now. I had issues with it at one time, but is so much faster than Cydia.

SSH?

This link should help you completely. Everything is explained there.

Firmware
    Currently, the most updated firmware is 3.1.3 which is pre-installed on 3g iPod's, and is not jailbreakable with blackra1n.

*No one knows when the next update will be released.

FAQ's
    Most questions can be answered by using google, or this link. If your question is not answered there, feel free to ask it here, or start a new thread in the appropriate place.

*No one knows when the 4th gen iPod will come out. Nor does anyone know what will be included in it, or updated on it. Nor does anyone know if the price will be cut, so please don't ask questions about this, or make new threads.

Useful Links
    Here are some useful links to search through.
    iPod Touch 3G [FAQ]
    iPod Touch / iPhone - BIBLE/FAQ
    A Very useful list of multiple guides and FAQ's
    General Tips & Tricks
    Useful Links
    Dictionary of iPod Terms
    A 2g Jailbreak Guide

Other useful links can be easily found as they are stickied. I hope this helps you all.
    And if you are new here, welcome, and please read over this very important post.
  2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Pretty useful I guess. But like Fishy's 'Rules Revisited' thread, it won't be read by any noobs. If a new member were to come to this forum, they post a thread. They RARELY ever search first, but let's say they do. They search 'jailbreak' (because that might be what they want) and they get thousands of results, but.. which to open.. I doubt they will open this one.

Nice write up though, must've taken a lot of time.
  3. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Thanks, I agree. It is so annoying seeing the same post 100's of times over and over.

Eh, took an hour, I was bored, so decided why not.
  4. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Yea, I agree, but the thing is, as much as noobs ask the same questions over and over, that's traffic for the site. If all noobs came and searched, they would get their answer and leave, which will then lead to the end of the site.
  5. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Yeah, you have a really good point there. Never thought of it that way.

Please Register or Log in to view images

So I guess the noobs do have a purpose here.

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. Kazuki_7

Kazuki_7 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    May i know what is Cydia?
  7. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    Cydia is where you get everything for your jailbreak.
    It is why you jailbreak.
  8. Kazuki_7

Kazuki_7 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    So.. Cydia is the program used to jailbreak it?
  9. Theodosius

Theodosius Active Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    No. You use blackra1n, it is what you get when you jailbreak. The tutorial explains that...
  10. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    Why did you put illegal as a tag? Anyway, you didn't put Rock up there