Use your iPod/iPhone as a Wifi receiver

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by mk211, May 1, 2010.

1. mk211

mk211 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    With an app called PdaNet you can change your iPod into a Wifi receiver. Here's how :

1. Open Cydia on your jailbroken iPod.

2. Search and install PdaNet on your device.

3. Go here and download the desktop client for this software to work (on your desktop).

4. Install it on your desktop.

5. Connect your iPod/iPhone to a Wifi network.

6. Run PdaNet on your iPod/iPhone and in settings select the USB mode.

7. Right click on the taskbar icon of the desktop client (while the app is running on your ipod and your ipod is connected via USB) and click 'Connect'.
    View attachment Connect.bmp

8.There should be a notification and now you should be able to browse the web on your computer using your iPod as a wifi receiver!

This is how your iPod's screen should look like:
    View attachment IMG_0069AA.bmp

NOTE: You can also ssh into your device after the computer has been connected (using the usual methods).

****UPDATE****
    You don't have to have pdaNet running on your iPod/iPhone; you just have to keep it connected to your pc via USB and connect using the desktop client. Though, I think you still have to have the app installed on your device.

Also, it doesn't require restarting. Though, if you run a software called "myWi" first, and then pdaNet, it asks for a restart.

2. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    This is old, mywi does the same thing too
  3. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    So if my laptop doesn't have Wifi and my iPod does. I download that and run it and then I'll have wifi on my laptop? Through usb?
  4. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    no, this si mostly used for the iphone, since the phone has cell connectivity it can use data nearly anywhere assuming you have a data plan with it. Then you can open either apps and use it to make your own hotspot. You other device will connect to the hotspot through wifi.
  5. mk211

mk211 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    @Tkf1 Yes it can be used that way. I'm using it right now!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    @J-Phone Yes, but this tutorial is to get internet running on wifi on computers that don't support wifi.
  6. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Do I need to reboot my iPod in order to install PDanet because I have a tethered jailbreak.
  7. mk211

mk211 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I didn't have to restart the first time I tried it. But later it did show a message that the device needs to be restarted for pdanet to initiate.
    Still don't know when and why it requires restarting.
  8. thedj

thedj Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    So with this I can use the wifi from my iphone on my laptop? thats exactly what I was looking for but didnt think it was possible.

Edit - just downloaded it - wow this app works amazing, This will be very useful for me at uni cuz I could always get wifi on my iphone but never on my laptop
  9. cyberghoser1

cyberghoser1 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    yeah i used to do that on all nokia 3rd & 5th symbian releases, you can use your ipod as a wifi receiver to allow any old laptop/desktop without wireless capability and iphone 3G to make a hotspot of your 3G connection on Wifi for others, pretty cool.