"Use SSL"

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by B4Bronco6, Nov 26, 2008.

1. B4Bronco6

B4Bronco6 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Okay so I'm kind of at a cross roads here.

I currently use the mail2web email service to push messages to my ipod touch..

But I get confused with this "Use SSL function".

Like, I had it turned off for the majority of the time.. and everything was great.

I was getting pushed my mail right away, the "Checking for mail" was FAST, and sending mail was very quick also.

But it seems that some nights.. it gets funky, and it takes forever to "check mail" or even send mail.

So when I turn it on, it goes back to normal and speeds up again.

What is this SSL thing, and does it involve anything with speed and receiving/sending mail??
  2. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    SSL stands for Secure Socket Layer

This is a network encryption that basically encrypts all packets that go between the client and the server of your transaction. (ie checking your mail) this prevents hackers from intercepting your packets and rebuilding your emails and seeing you stuff. SSL is a great thing to always have on. Leave it be.
  3. B4Bronco6

B4Bronco6 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Okay thanks for the reply.

But do you know why sometimes mail takes longer times to load, than others? And send??
  4. crizh4x

crizh4x Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    More than likely it's the POP or IMAP server's fault... I wouldn't think it has anything to do with SSL or your device.