Use Original iPhone as "Glorified iPod" on 3.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPoTH4CK3R, Aug 10, 2009.

1. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hey guys, man been a while since I've been on and my how things have changed!

Anyways, to the point. I was recently lucky enough to win a giveaway on YouTube for a 1G iPhone (the original one with the silver back and such). Anyways, I know back in the good ol' days, ZiPhone used to have an option where you could activate an iPhone without even actually using it on any network so you could use safari etc. and basically just be a glorified iPod Touch. Anywho, here's my question, I know this can be done on the old 1.1.X firmwares easily with ZiPhone, but my question is how do I (or can I) do this on the new 3.0 or 3.0.1 firmwares?

Lately all I hear about from the dev team (and anywhere) is 3G and 3GS unlocks and jailbreaks etc. So I'm wondering what program (for a PC) do I use to "activate" (and jailbreak) the phone just so I can use it as like an iPod. i.e.: I don't want to use it as a phone or use it on AT&T or T-Mobile, but I know if you don't activate it iTunes wont sync and you can't use the browser.

I feel kind of nooby for asking this, as I really should know this, but hey cut me some slack, I've never owned or even unlocked/jailbroken etc. and actual iPhone (just Touches) and 1G iPhones are old news, so it's hard to find out info about using it on new firmware.

Thanks guys!
  2. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I believe redsn0w 0.7.2 should suffice in this situation. Congrats on your win, I just wish I had one of those.
  3. sensor15

sensor15 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    make sure you download the bootloaders 3.9 and 4.6 just look up on Google
  4. iPoTH4CK3R

iPoTH4CK3R Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Thanks for the info, and yeah man I'm so psyched I won, got the guy the most subscribers, so 1G iPhone goes to me!

Please Register or Log in to view images

I did, couldn't really find much information, because like I said, no one is really worried/cares about the 1G's and 2G's anymore.