Use onboard speaker while charging?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ferr, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Ferr

Ferr New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Many times, I like to use the iPod in bed while it is charging. However, the device seems to automatically assume that I am hooking it up to an external speaker. Thus, it disables the onboard speaker. How can I use the onboard speaker while it is charging?
  2. sam_rock

sam_rock Active Member

Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    strange! u mean play sounds via the on device speaker when it's plugged in n not connected with earphones or speakers right? well must be some problem on urs. it always works for me. do u get the sound the device puts out then it's plugged in at first (like charging start sound)
  3. Ferr

Ferr New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I would like to use the onboard speaker without headphones, while it's charging, yep! I do get the charging start sound when it plugs in.

What always works for you? You can hear sound from the speakers while the ipod is charging?
  4. m0in

m0in Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It look like you have a problem with your device.
    4th gen? I would just exchange it
  5. 42395_skyline

42395_skyline Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    If it is not an official iPod cable, thats why. Some unofficial chargers seem to make the iDevices think they are speakers. Go to buy a new cable, official one. If it is official, take it back.
  6. Ferr

Ferr New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    You're right. That's exactly what the problem was. I was using the Dynex charger, which must have something in it to make the iPod think that it is a speaker. Pretty bad design! I switched it out with the default iPod cable and the speakers work just fine. Thanks for the advice.
  7. TchnclFl

TchnclFl New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Yeah I'm sure it was just designed for a previous iPod. Apple likes to be a d**k and change their iPods every generation so you have to get all new peripherals.