Use Ipod Touch as a Phone?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by hazay19, May 11, 2009.

1. hazay19

hazay19 New Member

Hey Everyone...

First Post and a Ipod Touch noob... so please bare with me. I've spend all night researching to at least get some background on my question... I know I have some more reading ahead of me and not looking to get spoon fed... just looking to be pointed in the right direction and make sure I get the latest and greatest info as it changes daily.

What I would like to know is how well you can use your ipod touch as a phone and what problems or best practices tutorials you could point me to. I have read about the following programs and others tonight but don't have a good grasp of what they do exactly yet and which are the best: Skype, GV Mobile (Google Voice For Iphone/Ipod Touch), Truphone, JaJah, Fring, voipstunt.com, etc.

What I'm looking to do is get and receive calls in wifi and hopefully if I am out of wifi, the ipod touch would go to voicemail and I could check my voicemail and call back when I get a wifi signal back. I only have a 450 minute plan now and don't use my current cell phone that much... Also, I have been dying to get a 32gb iphone mostly so I can get rid of my ipod and carry my music and phone together. I thought this option might save me a lot of money in monthly service fees and I am around wifi 95%. Is this possible and how would you recommend to do it (what apps?)

Finally, don't want to rock the boat as I read the zero tolerance policy, but are there better apps that are not illegal, but which required a jail broken ipod touch that would make what I'm trying to do easier?

Thanks so much, (Sorry if I posted in the wrong thread)

Hazay19
  2. Sambo110

Sambo110 New Member

3. touch_iPod

touch_iPod Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Truphone seems to be a good bet, with its VoIP service for iPod touch... More info can be obtained here: http://www.truphone.com/
  4. hazay19

hazay19 New Member

Thanks for the replies...

I know that you can make calls with Skype and with Truphone on the ipod tough. I haven't done it myself, but I'm sure I could figure it out. But, I was more interested in if you can and how difficult receiving calls, voicemails and texts would be, as all three of those seem a bit more complicated than making calls. I thinking the new 3.0 with push notification may make a difference, as would I have to leave skpe always open right since you can't multi-task or have two programs open at the same time on an ipod touch? I sincerely appreciate the replies though. I think gv mobile combines with google voice much could provide the voicemail part, I think?

Still trying to figure this out...

Please Register or Log in to view images

Thanks Everyone..
  5. IDK12

IDK12 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    IPkall gives you free numbers. No wifi everywhere though
  6. warlock6

warlock6 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Using Skype Etc. on IPod touch

I'd love to see a definitive thread on this. Loading Skype is simple but actual usage is complicated if you are interested in international calling.
    Skype website is a disaster IMHO. They are obviously very difficult to contact directly.

Anyway here's a link on using your Ipod as a phone:
    http://solution.allthingsd.com/20090428/ipod-to-reach-out-and-touch-someone/