Use iPod Touch 1st Gen with no Battery?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by kcp100, Jul 19, 2010.

1. kcp100

kcp100 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Hey guys,

I have not been active on this site for a long time (since 1.1.4), moved on to xbox 360 modding for a while, but now im back and will be here for a while!

alright, the battery on my ipod touch first generation stopped working, it would not charge at all. I took it apart, even when I plugged it into my computer it would show the apple logo for a few seconds then shut off. If I put it in recovery mode it would stay on because it was only being powered by the USB, not the battery. I know its getting no power because even if I put it in recovery and restarted it would try to do a regular boot, and not stick in recovery. I took the battery out, and I ordered a new one, but my question is that I was wondering if it was possible to do some soldering to the 3 pads for the battery and force it to run off of USB power all the time. I assume its a common ground because there is two positive wires (white and red) and one black. I tried soldering all 3 together and it did the same thing as it did when it had the bad battery in it.

Thanks guys,
    -kcp100
  2. amandureja

amandureja New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    You need to buy a new iPod. Or just wait untill September for the iPod Touch 4G. It will be worth it. But now people like you especially need to ditch their first generation devices. Apple has officially dropped ALL support for the first generation iPhones and iPod Touch.
  3. kcp100

kcp100 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    yeah, I was planning on buying a 3rd gen pretty soon, but I guess I will wait until september if a new ones on the way. the only reason I care about this one is because im planning on installing iDroid on it, and that can only be done with a first gen, not to mention I have one of the Darthpod backs that are scratchproof and look sick, I just want to get it working so I can load it up with android, not use it as an ipod.
  4. mikeac

mikeac Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You can always get a new battery. Send it in to Apple, and they should replace it. If not, there are websites, ebay, and craigslist ads that provide battery replacement service, and they are usually under $60.
  5. kcp100

kcp100 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Thanks for the input guys, even though I dont have that many posts you helped me out equally, this site is a very good forum and Im going to be hanging out here for a while!

I hope the new battery will make it work. Apple wont touch that thing because its been opened twice, its a first gen, I already removed the battery and several screws, and its jailbroken right now I cant restore it until I put in a battery. I am a pretty good solderer so 3 little wires shouldnt be a challenge.