Use gps without using 3G

Discussion in 'iPad' started by captainaids, Jan 30, 2010.

1. captainaids

captainaids New Member

If I understand correctly the ipad will be unlocked (though I read the US could only use AT&T but for europe there was no lock?). I'm not really in need of internet-everywhere yet, sure I would like to have the option later. Next to that, I would love an ipad with GPS. That would allow me to run tomtom software (holy sh*t, 9.7" navigation system, do want) and do all kinds of other stuff. The apple website says the ipad has 'assisted GPS'. Does that mean it only works when you have a 3G connection? Or can GPS work fine by itself?
  2. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    so your saying buying the iPad on 3G but using at wifi option for time being? cause im debating whether to get wifi or 3g version.. sorry i'm not much help.
  3. captainaids

captainaids New Member

Yes that is indeed what im saying. At this point when I need internet on my ipodtouch there is always a wifi network available. Ofcourse I wont be going to the same places forever and I might need/could use internet in a place without wifi in the future. That + if GPS works without 3G makes the choice easy for me, I would definitly buy the 3G version.
  4. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Im in same boat, I want to have option to have internet anywhere but i'll mostly stick to wifi.

Im really confused actually, i should stop posting lol, i'm not helping either of us XD

So if i was to buy the 3G model, do I just pay for the month i want the internet like the iPhone? or do i HAVE to pay every month even if i don't use, or what :O i might jsut wait for release and ask an apple employee lol
  5. Pandawg

Pandawg Community Development

I think you can just pay for the months you want to have 3G. Not 100% sure though.
  6. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    So basically like the iPhone where i top up £10 and i get that month 'Free', i hope its like that

Please Register or Log in to view images

I wish there was just 1 model wheres it based on wifi only and to access 3G parts you just pay the price for that month? i dunno.. so much simpler lol.

So does the wifi model have GPS? (i know its pointless as theres probs not wifi around when you need it, but say tethering i activated id then be able to use the GPS lol)
  7. captainaids

captainaids New Member

The wifi-only version does not have GPS
  8. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    ah dang, might get the 3G model then :/, i dont wanna buy the wifi only then realise i need 3g access :O
  9. Xhiea

Xhiea Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    if the 3G version wasnt so much more expensive than the wifi model i would totally go for the 3G, but its so much more expensive, and you need to pay per month aswell
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    navigation apps dont need 3G/wifi, they just use the pre-installed maps.
  10. Tsubame

Tsubame New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    That is correct, there is no long-standing contract for the 3G. If you want 3G for the one month, you just pay for it for that month and you can cancel any recurring payments after that.