USB wireless access point without software?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Epiphony, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Epiphony

Epiphony New Member

Hi everyone I love this forum and have a question. Is it possible to use a USB WAP that doesn't require software on the host PC?

I have wireless at home but I would like to have it at work. The only problem is I can't install software without the administrator login.

So the BIG question is whether there is a way to get WIFI at my work without installing software on my computer?

Thanks so much for all your help.
  2. fadethreeblack

fadethreeblack New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    do you want to have internet on your ipod from USB?
  3. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Lets try to stay on topic guys.
  4. Epiphony

Epiphony New Member

I would like to have any kind of wireless internet at my work that does not require me to install any software. the reason for this is because I do not have administrative privilage. My desktop at work is hooked up to the internet.

If anyone has any suggestions please share.
  5. fadethreeblack

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    ok....so "do you want to have internet on your ipod from USB? "
  6. erotiboxxx

erotiboxxx New Member

Do you have a solution if I wanted internet via usb? I figure you must, or you wouldn't waste that post; you'd just say no...
  7. fadethreeblack

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    baha. Actually, if he just said yes to that instead of another long post, that would've avoided my last post.

Anyways, no. There is a semi, however. It was a project on these forums 2 weeks ago that just died out. I think they stopped development. They were trying to get what you want (either way, you would need to install something), and they got as far as there needs to be a wifi signal present (it doesnt matter what signal or if the signal has a password). If you are willing to install 1 program (i think) and have a couple files with you, go to http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149875
  8. pegaxs

pegaxs Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Unless your work has WiFi, then i doubt it. Your computer will be locked down by the admins so you cant sneak in USB devices. I know where i work, i cant even use a thumb drive. Even if i do, it sends an e-mail to the sys-admin telling him what i tried to do. A USB WiFi key requires drivers and then needs to be set up to be in adhoc mode and then needs to be set up to route data from it to the internet and back. Not that hard at home, not that easy at work.

As for a USB solution, off the top of my head i cant remember the name of it but i think you can get internet over USB cable. But then again, you strike the problem that you will need to install drivers, run software and adjust settings. Something you just cant do on a work PC.

Alternative is make friends with one of the IT guys. Talk shop with them and then casually slip it in one day. who knows what a bit of kiss arsing and greasing palms can do

Please Register or Log in to view images

In the short term, i feel that you are in a bind. Unless you can get your iPod to install with drivers to that computer or get the wifi key into it, then you are stuck

Please Register or Log in to view images

Note to Dan: I know you are the almighty admin and all, but that was a sensible question to ask in this thread. There are heaps of other threads that are well and truly derailed big time. Not to mention the HUGE number of "HELP!! MY IPOD IS BRICKED!!!1!!!!1111!!!!" threads repeating themselves. Just funny how you took time to keep this one on the rails over a legitimate question i would have asked as well. (I know im getting a ban over this one!!)