USB issues...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Nintendork, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Nintendork

Nintendork New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1. When I plug my iTouch in the computer, I don't get that little system tray option "Safely Remove Hardware". However my computer makes the chime that lets me know it recognizes something has been plugged in.

2. If I run RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll, I get the Safely Remove Hardware box, however there are no device listed to eject, even though my iTouch is connected via USB...

3. In My Computer, my iPod is listed as "Mike Russell's iPod", which is my iPod's picture storage. But there is no USB drive for my iPod located anywhere.

4. iTunes will recognize my iTouch, but no where else on my computer will.

5. My iTouch will disconnect itself after a while, from iTunes and My Computer. I have to unplug it and replug it to get it to start up again.

So what's the deal? It's like my iTouch doesn't have a USB drive or something...
  2. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    That's because the iPod touch doesn't have (and wasn't intended to be used as) a USB Drive. It is only detected by iTunes and by your PC as a 'camera', so that you can transfer pictures to/from your iPod touch.

If you jailbreak your device you can use SSH to connect your PC to your iPod touch and then you can use it similar to a USB Drive.
  3. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    btw using the usb drive function can screw up ur ipod, for some it resulted to a restore
  4. Nintendork

Nintendork New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Ohhhh, ok. Thanks.

So what about why it disconnects itself over a certain period of time, and I have to unplug/replug to get iTunes to detect it again?
  5. J-Phone

J-Phone Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    loose port maybe? bad cable?
  6. m0in

m0in Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Be sure your using a 'Apple' cable, not a cheap knock off.