USB for iPod touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Lemures, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Lemures

Lemures New Member

Ok, this is probably a rather noobish question, which I generally tend to avoid, but I shall ask it anyway.

Right now it is perfectly possible to hook up a whole slew of things to your iPod touch. Use the docking cable, then connect a female to female usb connector on the end, and then connect a usb keyboard/controller/joystick/whatever to it.

What, exactly, is stopping this from happening? I assume it is some sort of driver type issue, though I may be wrong, but, what is to stop us from writing a program that sits in the background and monitors the docking cable input, and then converts that to a useable signal for programs to interpret? Why can't I have a "USB Keyboard Notes" app?
  2. Spyda

Spyda Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    not really sure if its possible, but it would be sweet! i can picture a version of ttr with a usb guitar controller! lol
  3. markymarkdotcom

markymarkdotcom New Member

4. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    This would be good,
    GH2 controller and my touch...
    Haha...
    Thats funny!
  5. Lemures

Lemures New Member

Really though, what is stopping this?

Is it a hardware limitation, with the physical connection? Docking cable -> usb -> female to female -> usb -> device ? Is there a problem with the wiring anywhere?

Is it a problem with "drivers", or something similar? What would stop us from making some sort of "USB Subsystem" you have to install via Installer that makes it work?
  6. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Well, I think it's more complex than you're picturing. Typically a USB product is either a device (e.g., a peripheral like a mouse or keyboard connected to a computer) or a system (e.g., a hub like computer that peripherals are connected to). Since Apple is all about the bottom line, I can't imagine that they would have included the added functionality to support USB devices connected to the iPod Touch as peripherals, but who knows...

Even if they did, you'd have to design the correct software to not only recognize and deal with the USB peripherals including all of the enumeration as well as the hot-plug/unplug functionality, but still flip over and let the iPod Touch become a peripheral to hook up to your computer for charging and syncing.

I'd be surprised if this was feasible...
  7. Lemures

Lemures New Member

I am primarily interested in hooking up a a keyboard and a controller to the ipod touch. First, a keyboard, so that I can use it to take notes in class. To bring a little rollout usb keyboard and my ipod touch to class instead of my giant laptop would save me a LOT of trouble. Secondly, imagine having a working controller for GBA or PSX games on the iPod touch. What if we ever get Linux or some other OS on it? Sure, the touchscreen is fun, but it would be nice to have a mouse as well for certain tasks, due to the heavy increase in precision.

I think in order to ultimately look towards getting a variety of devices hooked up to the ipod touch, we should look for something that is standard, or a method of hooking up a variety to devices in order to standardize input, and a method for taking that input and interpreting it (a driver, in short). USB is a rather common connection type, and it can be hooked up to the ipod touch without any 3rd party devices that cant be found at your local radio shack. I suggest we begin determining the feasibility of such a route.

Are there any programmers or anyone here who feels they would be able to help with this sort of thing? If so, please contact me.

What do you guys think?
  8. Spyda

Spyda Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    loli would be on my touch 24/7 if i cojuld play gh on it!
  9. xALeXzx

xALeXzx Active Member

The PSX will be more funny... with more buttons
  10. AliasMrJones

AliasMrJones New Member

It depends on what kind of usb chipset they used. Some are "device" only and some allow "device" and "host". What you are looking for is usb "host" functionality. I doubt apple used a chipset that directly allows host functionality, but it might be possible to directly flip the bits on the usb pins and emulate host mode. If so, you could access usb memory sticks and other input devices as well as possibly up/download music and pics from other devices like mp3 players and cameras. The biggest bang for the buck would be to implement the file transfer with disk type devices like the memory sticks, mp3 players and cameras.