USB file transfer

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by Jeepston, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Jeepston

Jeepston New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Does anyone know how to do it programmatically? Ideally, it will be good to have some cross-platform library that can be used in desktop apps to read\write files to\from iPhone.

There is already Mac app that allow to browse iphone filesystem via USB and copy files to\from it: http://www.iphone-explorer.com

May be we can write something similar as an opensource lib

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

Look into MobileDevice(AFC - Apple File Connection).

EDIT: Meh, you need to be jailbroken to use AFC, as it's a Services.plist patch. Hmm...
  3. lauNchD

lauNchD Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Nope! AFC is the standard Apple protocol for accessing /var/mobile/Media. AFC2 is the jailbreak patch which extends AFC to the entire file system.
  4. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

ah, sweet then!
  5. mvmacd

mvmacd Member

Is there a way to make a symbolic link and access the filesystem?
    ex:
    #ssh root@192.168.#.##
    MyIpod~ # ln -s / /var/mobile/Media/ROOT
  6. hyperipod

hyperipod New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    No. I tried.
  7. mvmacd

mvmacd Member

Well, the reason I asked is because *I* did it, and succeeded. My brother upgraded from a 32GB 3rd gen to 64GB 4th gen a few days ago, and he had lots of Youtube videos on MxTube that he didn't want to re-download. So I dumped a list of files [ # ls / -R > ls.txt ], then used grep to find the MxTube app data folder, so then I made a sym link in the /var/mobile/Media/ [maybe I put it in the ./DCIM folder, I don't remember] folder to the MxTub app data folder, then plugged it in via USB, on my Linux laptop, and then I did "Open folder" and then I saw the sym link, that looked like a regular folder!! So I clicked on it, and I was able to copy all 5GB worth of videos. Then on this new one, it was jailbroken, and then I tried to use the same method to put the videos back, but it would not work!!! If I recall correctly, the other folders just didn't show up, no matter what I renamed it--That's why I asked. Is there a cydia app I forgot to reinstall that lets you do this or something??