USB Charger Specification?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by therock003, Apr 28, 2009.

1. therock003

therock003 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I hate having to charge the ipod by connecting it to the computer so i'm thinking of doing so with a usb power charger.

Thing is, are there any specification for the charger to carry out? I mean i know most usb powered device operate under 4.75-5.25 V but is that all?

Cause i already got a USB charger adapter for use with a mobile phone, and i wonder if it would be wise to use it.
  2. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The fast charging ones are: 5v, 1000amps/1ma
    The regular ones like your computer is: 5, 500amps/.5ma
  3. therock003

therock003 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  4. therock003

therock003 Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So i bought the charger above which include internal battery for charging without the need from the mains, and for some reason i can only charge on battery mode.

When i try to use the charge directly from the mains the ipod doesnt charge. Why is that?

Is it possible it uses different voltage/current when charging from the battery?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Wait so is .5mA the maximum a PC USB can carry or the minimu?

Cause my charger supports up to 450amps. Maybe this is the source of problem.

Also its internal battery capacity is 1000mAH, so maybe by connecting it off the mains with the battery running solo, it could force it to supply more than 450 thus making the charging possible.

Is this an actual theory?

That would also explain why the chargers battery is drained within an hour or 2, while philips advertises up to 15 hours of battery use.

So could it really be that 450 amps are not enough?