USB 2.0 only????

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by s411pi, Nov 27, 2007.

1. s411pi

s411pi New Member

Do you HAVE to have a USB 2.0, because I dont have one on the computer Ill be using?

I do have a shuffle and it works fine.
  2. Nt1440

Nt1440 New Member

well the shuffle only supports music so usb 2.0 wasnt that important, but i do believe that the touch is 2.0 only

imagine having to move movies through usb 1.0??? one movie would take (rough guess) AT LEAST 30 minutes

my suggestion: new comp
  3. [AFX]

[AFX] Well-Known Member

ya dood. either get a new comp, or if you are too brokeass, just get a PCI USB host card. make sure its USB 2 compliant though.
  4. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I think it will work with 1.0 but its EXTREMELY slow.
  5. Midnight

Midnight New Member

I just did a check as to what kind of USB I have (somewhat older computer, was an 'emergency' replacement for my other crapped out comp, but never bothered to get a newer one LOL).

It appears that I do not have 2.0, although my Touch does just fine. So far I've put 2 movies on my Touch and each took around 7-10 minutes or so IIRC... that's not too awfully bad, is it? LOL
  6. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

The condition for using USB 2.0 is not due to the transfer speed (though of course it's much slower with 1.1), it's for charging. USB 1.1 ports only supply a maximum of 100mA of current to whatever devices are plugged into them. While this is enough to trip the charge circuit on the Touch and it will charge, it will be very slow to do so -- count on up to 24 hours or longer to gain a full charge from empty. (You can probably bring it to 80% in a couple of course; it's those last few percent that take the time)

USB 2.0 ports supply 500mA of current though, which naturally will charge much faster.
  7. zatchzeno

zatchzeno New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yes it works. i have usb 1
  8. s411pi

s411pi New Member

Thanks for the replies.
  9. tim

tim New Member

My computer has only USB 1.0 and I am having significant trouble getting the iTunes to recognize the Touch (numerous different errors from iTunes, or it isn't recognized at all) and when I do manage to get it recognized it is almost impossible to sync/transfer files to the Touch - it seems I can transfer one song at a time, but can not do whole albums or movie files without iTunes freezing... At least, I'm hoping this is a USB 1 problem!

As for charging, I haven't had a problem, it reaches full charge after a few hours - but it's probably slower than 2.0.

Thankfully this is temporary, until I get back to my own apartment after the holiday season.