US iPod touch - Power Supply Difference?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by WeegieMac, Jun 4, 2008.

1. WeegieMac

WeegieMac New Member

Hi folks

Please Register or Log in to view images

I've done some searches and found out that the US iPod touch retains all it's features if used in the UK (iTunes store, etc), but I was wondering about the electrical side of things. Does the US model run using a different power supply and if so will I need to buy a Stepdown transformer to charge it from UK mains?

I assume that plugging a US iPod touch into my UK iMac via USB won't damage it?

Thanks for any help.
  2. JBB

JBB New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Uhh, no.

Electricity is electricity, no matter where.
  3. WeegieMac

WeegieMac New Member

Yes, I know "electricity is electricity" but different electronic devices have different innards depending on their location. I take it you never imported a games console from the US or Japan in the old days before multi-region? I bought a US Dreamcast which meant I needed to buy a Stepdown Transformer to ensure the machine was receiving the appropriate voltage now it was connecting to a UK power supply.

If I'd simply connected a 3 pin UK plug and put it into the socket, the console would have fried.

My question is a legit one.
  4. JBB

JBB New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Oh, ok then.

Yes. Your iPod will be fine.
  5. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Normally you connect your Touch via USB to your PC to charge it.
    But the only thing you could get in trouble is this charge thing that you can into your wall ... with a electrical cord. But than just get the one you can use in your country.
  6. simonrichards150

simonrichards150 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    USB = The same anywhere in the world.

So no problem

But obviously dont use a wall charger from a country that uses a different voltage, but most things these days work with 100-240v anyway.
  7. Halacio

Halacio New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    it has a surge protector built in. your fine either way. google up people charging ipod touch stupid ways.
  8. deadfire55

deadfire55 Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Just don't charge in to the wall, just from a computer.
  9. fishbone126

fishbone126 New Member

Have just received our Touch and have been worrying about the same thing as I want a wall charger rather than always using the laptop.

Have done much research and took the advice given here - bought a Griffin Powerblock Travel charger which I found on Ebay at the best price.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=380030169195&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=025

It changes voltage depending on the country and has safety features.
  10. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    Look at the box and check the voltage rating. If it say 110-220v you are fine. I fried a few things in my travels around the world so it's best to be safe! Manythings now are rated at both without having to flip the little swtich. You don't want to use a transformer because those things suck power like crazy!