URGENT HELP NEEDED- logome completely killed ipod

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by bthaxor, Oct 22, 2008.

1. bthaxor

bthaxor Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    please please please try to help me, i am in urgent need of help.

i jailbroke 2.1 with quickpwn rc3 morpheus version (i was eager to get it done early so couldnt wait for official dev-team release), and at the time i didnt know that it was possible to place a custom boot logo on by replacing the logo.png file in the temp folder created by quickpwn.

so i was doing fine until yesterday i noticed 'logome' under the recent changes in cydia, and i thought 'wow, great, i might give this a spin' since i had wanted to place a custom boot logo on for a while now.

so everything seems to go fine - it downloads parts of the original firmware, then (i had uploaded the boot logo to imageshack) it downloaded the image fine. i went to the install tab and it finished quite quickly, although no warning messages appeared, so i assumed it was done (no notices saying it was done came out though).

i shut my ipod down, and that worked fine, so the power off button worked...

i rebooted to see my new boot logo and....

...nothing happened.

i then tried every single power off / home button combination to try to turn it on in any way, shape or form, to no avail.

so i plugged it into the computer, sighing because i would have to re-jailbreak and re-sync which would take a while.

i then searched ipodtouchfans forum for any similar problems, and was disappointed to see that restore was the only solution (quickpwn failed to even recognise my ipod).

as soon as i plugged my ipod into the computer, itunes popped up without any warning (surprise surprise), but to my even greater surprise it began restoring of its own accord. even in dfu mode during previous jailbreak attempts, my ipod name would show up on the left sidebar to show that itunes has recognised the ipod, and the start screen would display a message saying the ipod is in restore/dfu mode and must be restored, with a restore button.

no such thing happened this time, though. i plugged it in, no ipod showed up in the sidebar, it just began restoring. im assuming my ipod is in some kind of dfu mode, since that is the new hardware windows picked up, but i have tried and failed many times to get it out of it.

the message it shows it 'waiting for ipod'. it shows this for around five minutes, then gives a 1601 error.

i read somewhere that someone fixed it by restoring to 1.1.5 firmware, so although there was no option to shift-click (browse) for firmware, i thought that if i removed my 2.1 firmware from the firmware folder (i have a backup elsewhere) and put only 1.1.5 in there, it would restore from that. however, it just began downloading 2.1 firmware from the web automatically.

frustrated now, i turned off my wireless adapter, unplugged my ipod, rebooted itunes and plugged in my ipod again. then an error message pops up: 'itunes cannot connect to the ipod software server, please try again later'. of course, my ipod still doesnt show up in the left sidebar.

i have no idea what to do. i'm not sure if my ipod is in dfu mode, although that's what it claims, or whether it's screwed up in some other way.

WHAT CAN I DO!!!???

please help!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. itouchnathan

itouchnathan New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    omgrestoreomg
  3. bthaxor

bthaxor Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i cant restore!!!!????

jeez im not that stupid...
  4. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    omg restore to 2.1 firmware. What's the problem? After that you can downgrade if you want
  5. bthaxor

bthaxor Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    it's evident you didnt read the whole post:

this happens everytime.

it just doesnt restore.
  6. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    oh, didn't read your 1st post^^ it's so long..but:
    uninstall itunes 8 and install 7.5 (google for it) then you can restore to 1.1.5
  7. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ouch... good luck! I suppose there's a reason why the app is in beta...
  8. Edward4466ed

Edward4466ed New Member

I got the same 1601 error when upgrading. Just first upgrade to 1.1.4 then from there shift click upgrade and find the 2.X firmware and then u are set to go. I am running the most recent iTunes
  9. bthaxor

bthaxor Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    thank you so much mirror1.

how i fixed the problem:

-i uninstalled itunes 8
    -i installed itunes 7.5
    -i downloaded the 1.1.5 firmware
    -plugged in ipod, itunes began the same retarded 'waiting for ipod' procedure
    -i closed itunes from task manager
    -re-plugged in, restarted itunes
    -this time it recognised the ipod properly, and i shift-restore'd the 1.1.5 firmware - DO NOT JUST CLICK 'restore'!!!
    -it got to 'preparing ipod for restore' before pausing
    -ended itunes, re-plugged in ipod and restarted itunes
    -shift-restored again and successfully restored to 1.1.5
    -installed itunes 8.0.1
    -shift-restored to 2.1 firmware, it got stuck at 'preparing ipod for restore' again
    -ended itunes, unplugged ipod, plugged in again, restarted itunes
    -shift-restore 2.1 - it worked successfully the second time, although it took a while...

thanks so much for your help!!! one of the happiest moments in my life when it worked...

Please Register or Log in to view images

persistence is the key... and i am never using beta apps again...
  10. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)