URGENT HELP NEEDED: iPod possibly bricked?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by simscube, Jun 1, 2008.

1. simscube

simscube New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok, so from a technical standpoint, I guess it's not bricked, but heres the problem:

First, the problem: My iPod is in DFU mode, and iTunes can't restore it (I get "unknown error (2003)")

Full Story: Ever since the Installer update, I've had issues with my iPod, it's been running extreamly slow, installer constantly crashing, safari crashing often, coverflow crashing, anything that took up large bits system memory. Now, I figured that this was due to it being incredibly full (all media listed here), and since I couldn't open installer to uninstall apps, I just decided to restore it. I plugged it in to my computer, iTunes recognized it, and I clicked restore. Fifteen minutes pass, nothing happens other than it go into restore mode, and I get the error code listed above. I opened up ZiPhone and attempted to click the button that puts it into normal mode, but my trackball mouse is messed up and it clicked DFU mode, so it rebooted into DFU, and again, I tried iTunes, still got the error. So now I have an iPod that can't be restored by iTunes, and can't be put into normal mode, what do I do?

Any help would be very appreciated, and I would rep...if rep wasn't gone, but still I NEED HELP! If my parents find out that it's broken, I'm DEAD...
  2. x6blues

x6blues New Member

I usually plug it into the computer, once iTunes appears, I hold the standby (top) and home buttons until the tab for the iPod disappears, let go of the standby (top) and keep hold of the home button until the tab reappears once more.

If that doesn't work then try these suggestions.
    Restart the computer and see if it'll work then. Try a different USB Port. Also, sometimes it takes time, so just let everything rest and then try again at a later time.
  3. HanMan5000

HanMan5000 Member

Device:
    iPhone
    Re-Install iTunes.

Pfft, It happend to me and I callled apple, they told me its not iTunes, I kept asking them it must be itunes, they just made it simple and said No, send it to us. I decided to take it but I tried reinstalling first. And what d o ya' know, it worked.

So just re-install it >_>
  4. simscube

simscube New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I'll try what you suggest, but in the meantime, here is a vid of the problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_N7Eq9x6lw
  5. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    My friend also had this problem, and he used a different computer. He was on a PC and tried on my iMac. It worked.
  6. HanMan5000

HanMan5000 Member

Device:
    iPhone
  7. simscube

simscube New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    THANK YOU!!!!!

IT'S WORKING, THANK YOU!!!

now I got to sync almost 15 gb of music, photos, and videos....
  8. HanMan5000

HanMan5000 Member

Device:
    iPhone
    So glad I helped =).
  9. Sickly_slick

Sickly_slick New Member

changing computer, changing USB port and rebooting the computer can also get rid of those Cannot Restore Errors.
  10. imanipodmug

imanipodmug New Member

I have tried to synch my new iTouch 16GB. I had problems and reinstalled iTunes as others have suggested. I also tried to restore and got an unknown error code 9. Now my computer seems unable to recognise the USB device and my iTouch will not switch on. Can anyone suggest a solution.
    Many thanks in hopeful anticipation.