Upgrading to the iOS 4 firmware(Help)

Discussion in 'iTunes' started by Nickmadkiller, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Nickmadkiller

Nickmadkiller Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    I'm gonna explain "why" I did what I did.

First off my internet is not high-speed.I use dial-up because where I live we don't have DSL or anything available.Plus satellite is very expensive.Hope that helps why I did this.

Anyways since my internet is so slow upgrading my firmware on my iPod touch doesn't work since it's a 364MB type file.I went to a website that gives out all the firmware upgrades.I got it from Felixbruns.

Now I have the file ...iPod3,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw(I changed to ipsw from the rar. file and it made the compressed file into one single file.

Anyways I read the instructions on the felixbruns main website on what to do.

Now my problem is here.

It tells you to open itunes (iPod synced) shift and press the update or restore button.Then it will open up your the page where you select the firmware.

The firmware file that I have is located on my desktop.

Now heres the problem...

When I Shift and press the 1 mouse on the Update or Restore button it pops up the window.The only problem is is that the icon for the firmware doesn't appear in the selection.I have my My computer and a few of my default icons on there that show but the firmware doesn't (ipsw file).

I'm just wondering how I get it to work.I'm wanting to upgrade to the 4.0 but can't till I figure this out.I tried many ways to get it to work but right now I'm kinda stuck...
  2. m0in

m0in Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Did you change it from .ipsw to .rar?
  3. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Do you have any other .Ipsw files?