iOS 4.0 Upgrading to 4.0? (prparing to jailbreak)

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by neko3343, Aug 30, 2010.

1. neko3343

neko3343 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    For jailbreaking my iPod touch, I need to upgrade no further than 4.0, right? Because 4.0.2 fixes the hole that jailbreaking uses?

I've been told that I can just connect it to itunes, Shift+Restore, and click on the firmware (I've already downloaded it.).

But from looking around on these forums, and reading through some of the jailbreak tutorials, I'm seeing something about having to put it into Recovery Mode and trick the server into thinking that the update is coming from Apple.

I've also read that the first method only applies to the non-MC model. I'm pretty sure that mine's an MC. I think. It's the one that they're trying to pass off as 3rd Gen, but actually isn't, if that helps at all.

Can somebody help me figure out what I need to do to get to 4.0? And if it's the second method, can someone explain it a bit clearer for me? I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

EDIT: I plan on jailbreaking with jailbreakme.com. It's the most convenient for me, but I guess I can go with something else if I need to.
  2. shashanknegi

shashanknegi Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I pretty sure your supposed to shift click like you said.

The part quoted is for downgrading wich you wont need to do.
  3. neko3343

neko3343 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Alrighty, thank you. : )

I'm just sorta freaking out that I'll end up on 4.0.2... Which would not be fun..
  4. shashanknegi

shashanknegi Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Pssht just realised, you have a 2G, you can downgrade without anything, so its not a big deal if you go to 4.0.2
    (unless the soft blob check need SHSH)
  5. tech3475

tech3475 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Even MB models need the check as of 3.1.3 (personal experience) and MC models can downgrade to 3.1.2 I believe without SHSH blobs.
  6. neko3343

neko3343 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Mmkay. If i can get to 4.0, do I even need to go back to the older firmware? Are there any huge problems in 4.0 that'd make me want to go back?

Also: a semi-unrelated question: After I Shift+restore to 4.0, if I ever need to restore, I can just regular-click the "Restore" button right?

...Wow, I ask a lot of questions... Sorry bout that...