Upgrading new MacBook. RAM/HDD

Discussion in 'Mac & OS X' started by jimbeam, Mar 18, 2009.

1. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Planning on upgrading my new macbook to 4GB ram and a 500GB HDD. I have read a lot of horror stories from people upgrading memory and hdd on the new macbooks. So need some advice since only a few people I know own macs and they have never done anything like this themselfs.

Here is the memory I was planning on getting. Is this a trusted site? Will this be alright for the macbook? They say it certified, but anyone can say that.
    http://www.macmemory.com/ItemDescription.asp?Item=MBAL4G

Here is the HDD Im planning on buying. Looks alright? And the price seems right.
    http://www.macmemory.com/ItemDescription.asp?Item=N5SAM500

So what do the trusted folks at IPTF's think?

One more thing, I have read a few tutorials on upgrading the HDD without lossing anything, but they seem a little overly complicated. making bootable copys to one hard drive installing the new hard drive and moving the bootable to the new one after formatting it or useing TM and almost the same steps.

My idea is to connect the new HDD to my macbook with a SATA to USB adapter, then formatting the drive and make a bootable copy to it. Now all I have to do is swap the drives and turn it on. Would that work? There is no firewire on the macbook so Im just asumming it will work with USB.
  2. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Do you already have an external drive that has a 2.5 inch HDD in it? If so, all you have to do is put your MacBook's HDD in there (Better if it has Firewire also). Then put the new drive + RAM into the current MacBook. During the process when you install OS X, you can just transfer the information, etc via Mac OS X's migration assistant as you install. Thats what I would do anyway. I mean, you could make a copy of your drive with software out there and restore the image that it creates, but I find that unnecessary. Also, I think you might get a better price on RAM at Crucial.
  4. awesome761

awesome761 Banned

Wow i thought the MacBook could go up to only 320GB, i thought wrong.
  5. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I have a 1TB external and a 500gb external. My first thoughts were to just take one of those drive, but they are to big and not SATA drives. They are Firewire though.

Those just seem like wasted steps, if I could just install a bootable copy of my current HDD to the new one. Then I can just swap them out. Simple? Do you know of any good/free software to make a bootable copy?

Thanks for the tip on the ram!
  6. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Actually, you're not really installing a bootable copy. You're just making a copy of your current drive and restoring that image (Which is going to be HUGE depending on what you already have in it). You could try Carbon Copy Cloner: http://www.bombich.com/software/index.html to make a copy of your drive.

This video is for the current MacBook Pro unibody, but it should also apply to your own MacBook also: http://cnettv.cnet.com/2001-1_53-50004469.html#

Super Duper should do you well too: http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html
  7. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Cool thanks! Going to try Carbon Copy Cloner.
  8. Qartin

Qartin Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You can buy 4gb ddr3 ram from the apple website for $240 LOL. And you can buy harddrives for the new macbooks from the apple store too. I would order from there cause then its right from the source, and is trusted.
    But saving money right now is essential, so good luck installing.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Wait.

I would hold off for the memory actually. Cause snow leopard is coming out soon and is suppost to be 64x which can technically hold up to 1t of ram.

So apple will probably start making bigger size ram sticks for the macbook and sell them for less. So I would wait probably.
  9. jpga13

jpga13 Banned

Device:
    iPad 3
    And remember the faster the drive speed the more heat it produces!
  10. mrfajita

mrfajita New Member