Upgrading+jailbreak an older ipod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by silvershadow, Oct 30, 2010.

1. silvershadow

silvershadow New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ipod firmware is: 2.2.1 (5H11a)

Model is: MB531LL

16gb.

Currently, there is nothing on the ipod, so have nothing to lose. It is not already jailbroken.

My other ipod is at 3.1.3 (updated as it came out).

With this one, trying to shift click the update button and loading the ipsw file for 3.1.3 or even 3.1.2 doesnt work anymore. i believe it has to do with apple because they stopped signing the updates? (something along those lines).

Only update i can do is the latest. And im not sure if there is an "untethered" jailbreak for the latest update available (for my ipod type).

if there is, that may be the better way instead of trying to go to 3.1.3? what do you guys think is the better firmware to go to for jailbroken (untethered).

if not the latest one from apple (the one that can be installed easily), how do i go about upgrading to the 3.1.3 version or the one of your suggestion?

thanks, awaiting reply.
  2. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    this model number is an iPod Touch 2G MB model with 16gb of memory...
    so upgrading it to the latest firmware (iOS 4.1) can be done without hassle because this device is pwned for life and can always be jailbroken untethered.

use redsn0w to jailbreak it after updating it to the latest firmware (do a vanilla update with itunes)
  3. Bigray14719

Bigray14719 Active Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Upgrade to 4.1 using itunes.
    Then use redsnow or greenpoison to jailbrak.
    Check my sig for a tut for greenpoison.
  4. silvershadow

silvershadow New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    thanks alot guys.

u may have noticed by my post, i was originally starting off with no ideas. then while writing, i realized that it was an older ipod and that maybe i could actually just jailbreak the latest version

Please Register or Log in to view images

thanks again!!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

(both of you)