Upgrading Hard Drive Space

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by thriftinkid, Feb 10, 2009.

1. thriftinkid

thriftinkid New Member

Hey Guys. I'm looking to get an ipod touch as opposed to the classic. I love the interface, but I am upset with the Hard Drive space as compared to the classic. I know you can replace the smaller HD's in the classic with one up to 120gb. Does anyone know if you can replace the one's in the IPOD touch's? 1st or 2nd Gen? Also, do you know the spec's the HD would need to be compatible. I just replaced my Ibook with a 250 GB, and I accidentally got one that didn't fit b4 finding the right one. I just don't want to buy a new touch and bust it open, just to find I got the wrong parts. Thanks guys.
  2. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    impossible, unless you know what to do. it has a flashmemory unlike the hard drives in pc's and mac's. sorry dude.
  3. StaticFX

StaticFX New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I was gonna say.. its not a HD. its Flash Mem... and I heard a 64GB was coming.. isnt that enough?

i have the 16GB and its plenty for 700+ songs and a few full length movies

Please Register or Log in to view images

(with room still left!)
  4. jlgm25

jlgm25 Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    i hope and i really hope 64gb will come. I know it will!

so i can fit half of my songs in my laptop

can you imagine, i only have 300+ songs in ipod cause its 8gb. and the other parts are for my movies and sh!t. when the 64gb comes, i will be next in line.
  5. freemini

freemini Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    why the hell did you get the 8gb model? It's very small. I have 16gb and i fit all my music on it and i still have 7gb free. With 1.5gb of apps and about 700mb of video.
  6. StaticFX

StaticFX New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    You dont have enough music then!!

lol

with all my downloads and CD rips over the years, I could barely fit 1/2 of my music on my 16GB - even if i used all 16GB. lol
  7. lostfan4

lostfan4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Man, and I thought 8GB was a lot. O__O

(Well, with the jailbreak I have to be consciecous of space now)
  8. Kipmacl

Kipmacl Guest

Hey I have an 8GB MC model and I just want to upgrade to a 64. Does apple sell stock "Flash Mem." Drives? Would a 64GB one even fit in an 8GB one?
    Oh yeah, whats the rule on reviving old threads?
  9. [AFX]

[AFX] Well-Known Member

to all of the claims that this cant be done because "its flash memory", well you are right that the storage medium is flash memory, but no one ever said why.

the reason why this cannot be done easily is because the flash chips are soldered to the logic board. the only way this would ever be possible (and will never happen by the way) are 2 ways:

a) you know a PCB engineer and they have the proper tools and spare time to desolder/solder all of those tiny points of the flash chip to the logic board (not just a soldering iron, i mean a machine that does this, good luck finding someone who works at a factory to do this)

b) the ipod ran on a removable SSD that could be user-upgradable (will never happen). i suggest this because older EEE PC netbooks use this method and you can easily swap the SSD out with another one (brand such as runcore). obviously wont work with an ipod. a mini-pcie SSD wouldnt fit anyway given how thin these devices are

so, as everyone else suggests, if you are looking for capacity, get a 32GB or 64GB model. hope this helps.

EDIT: ahhh just realized this is an old thread my apologies but i seen it and had to put my 2 cents in there