Upgrading GPU, Have a few questions

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by Led, May 5, 2009.

1. Led

Led Banned

Yea, so i'm probably going to order parts for my desktop (PSU, GPU, RAM) soon but first, I have a few questions:

-Is a 550 watt power supply enough to power an ATI 4770 (what i'm planning to upgrade to), a Q6600, 3gb DDR2 800 ram (adding another gig), a harddrive, a cd/dvd drive and 3 fans? I think it is.

-A PCI Express x16 2.0 card will fit and work in a PCI Express x16 1.0 slot, right? I read somewhere that it will run with no performance loss.

-Will the 4770's cooler (pictured below) cover the next expansion slot? I want to put this PCI cooler to cool down my system (if you've seen my other thread my GPU temp is 69 C idle) and, because i've got a mATX board, I would not have any other place to put the cooler if it's covered up.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Marine Iguana

Marine Iguana New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Your power supply will be powerful enough with your setup and you wont notice any difference with a PCI-E 1.0 as i doubt you will be running high AA/AF, and the cooler on that card will cover one of your expansion slots im afraid other than that that card is excellent bang for buck.
  3. KevN

KevN Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    Damn, I were teh bout to say dat...

It depends how many PCI slots you have. Make sure you have enough space and that you don't have only one slot cuz then you're screwed...
  4. Led

Led Banned

Yea, the way my motherboard goes is: PCIe, PCIe x16, PCI, PCI. The GPU will take up the middle two and i'll have to move the wireless adapter to the bottom if it isn't already.
  5. mohaas05

mohaas05 New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I have a PCI card (note PCI, not PCIe; yes my computer is that crappy) with a fan like that and stuff fits just fine.
  6. Led

Led Banned

It's not a matter of if it can fit by itself, but whether the pci fan and the graphics card can both fit. The graphics card's fan and heatsink takes up two slots and covers one of the two PCI slots, leaving only one PCI slot which (i think) is being used by the wireless adapter; i seriously doubt dell put in a PCIe wireless card. This poses another question:

-Is it worth the loss of performance by choosing a single slot 9800gt? The 9800gt is more expensive and less powerful but only takes up one expansion slot which means i can install the PCI fan and lower the temps for the sake of performance.
  7. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)