Upgrading from 1.1.2 to 1.1.4 (my story)

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.4 Discussions' started by Lazrhog, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Lazrhog

Lazrhog New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    OK, so I needed to upgrade to 1.1.4 because my games that I made/ported (iZoo and Noiz2sa) exhibit problems with that firmware version and it was peeing me off to say the least.

I read up on the process, as everyone should do, and Ziphone had reached the right level of maturity for the iPod Touch, so I was all go !

1. I downloaded the Ziphone from the touchfans home page. Oops that turned out to be 2.6 and not 2.6b (as it looked from the filename anyway), so I went to the ziphone webpage and downloaded from there.

2. I went into iTunes, kissed my iPod goodbye, and hit upgrade to 1.1.4.

3. iTunes duly went and backed up my existing iPod (that was nice of them), and installed 1.1.4. OMG I had forgotten hat a barren looking thing an un-jailbroken iPod Touch looked like !

4. It then wanted me to restore or make it like a new ipod touch. ahhh no you don't iTunes !!! I knew this was ziphones moment of glory, so itunes was closed and in comes the cavalry...

5. ziphone run, and I clicked the friendly ipod button in the jailbreak section. 30 seconds later and loads of cool text on the ipod touch, there it was, jailbroken with installer on it.

6. A quick run of installer generated some errors, but a few queue clears etc and I was away. The following apps were installed (IIRC) ... BSD Subsystem, openSSH, Bosstool, Summerboard. Oh and I upgraded Installer (eventually) and Upgraded Community Sources too (yay for Skylars TouchRepo !)

7. I then rebooted between these installs or after, I can't quite remember - wish I had written it down. Never mind. I then installed the 1.1.4 iPhone apps from ipodTouchMasters source (you are a god amongst men

Please Register or Log in to view images

), and got the cool wiggle put in too.

8. Tried the Summerboard patch but it won't install (main execution script failed), but summerboard seems to work anyway - ho hum.

9. I then used Bosstool to shift all the stuff out. Here is where it gets interesting. All my tunes and vids were still taking up space despite not showing up. Luckily Bosstool has an option to get rid of those for you too

10. I then SSHed into the ipod for a bit of a root around. OMG there were all my old 1.1.2 applications sitting right there in the old Apps directory - blimey Apple, thats some slack firmware updating you got there. Oh bugger, should I just copy them over ? Naah deleted them so as not to confuse installer - I didn't use some of them anymore anyway (anybody still play lights out ?)

11. I then re-synched to itunes. t wanted me to either restore or treat as a new ipod again. Mmmm, ok, well I lost all my bookmarks, so lets try a restore. Heeey great, bookmarks back, mail reset up for me, contacts back. Nice one Apple. Uploaded all my music and stuff again no probs.

12. Still concerned I only have 100Mb left of my 300Mb OS space, so I guess somethign else is in there (Ahhh just thought it might be my ScummVM Games Hmmmm). I'll go and check later.

Anyway - all in all a relatively stress free upgrade. ZiPhone really is the nuts and I heartily recommend it. Just thought I would type this lot in case anyone was sitting on the fence still like I was, because their iPod was working just fine on 1.1.2, and you can't have enough user stories really .....

Wow, I typed loads !!

PS. Don't think that this is in anyway a guide, as I might have missed something out by accident. Instead, just follow some of the guides posted by others that know far more than me about this jailbreaking malarky !!! I'll take just being an app developer any day .....

2. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Great job.
  3. vesperance

vesperance New Member

yay ziphone!
  4. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Want a Cookie?
  5. vesperance

vesperance New Member

lol yo tes are you zibri??
  6. Lazrhog

Lazrhog New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    LOL yeah very drole. I did just have to do the safari cookie chmod in terminal