iOS 3.1 Upgrading 2.2.1 -> 3.1.2 Without Losing Anything

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Saggy, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Saggy

Saggy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    How would I go about doing this (I have a 2g 8GB iPod Touch btw)? I'm pretty much a noob when it comes to jailbreaking so a step by step tutorial would be nice. Anyone have a link to one. I tried searching around but couldn't find anything that helped me much because I didn't fully understand what people were telling others to do.

Just to put this out there, this is what I think I have to do:

1. Make a backup in iTunes of my iPod
    2. Upgrade to 3.1.2
    3. Restore my iPod using backup (How do I do this?)
    4. Jailbreak with blackra1n
    5. ???
    6. Profit

Am I correct, or no?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'll just put this here so people wanting to upgrade from 2.2.1 to 3.1.2 don't have to go looking through the whole thread.

HOW TO UPGRADE FROM 2.2.1 TO 3.1.2

1. First, ensure that your iTunes is up-to-date (newest version as of post is 9.0.1)
    2. Plug in iPod with 2.2.1 (doesn't have to be jailbroken) and right-click on your iPod in the side menu and hit Backup.
    3. Once the backup is done, hit Upgrade. It should bring you to the iTunes Store where you will have to purchase the firmware update. Buy it, and begin updating.
    4. Once your iPod is updated, check to see if everything is still on your iPod (notes, calendar dates, music, photos, videos etc.) If everything is, go on to step 6, otherwise go to step 5.
    5. Right click on your iPod in the side menu again and click "Restore from Backup" and choose the option that has the name of your iPod as well as today's date.
    6. Once everything is back on your iPod, it's time to jailbreak. Download blackra1n and open it up. Make sure that iTunes is still open, then hit the "make it ra1n" button. Everything from here on out is pretty much automatic. You should get a pop-up box saying that "If this was the easiest jailbreak ever, please donate...". Just click OK.
    7. Your iPod should have had a picture on it, then rebooted. That should be it. Once, your iPod is back to normal, find the app "blackra1n" and install either Cydia, Icy, or Rock.

That's it, your done. Only thing is you lose out on all the jailbroken apps you had before, meaning you have to reinstall all of them. Other than that, nothing is lost. Happy Jailbreaking!
  2. ryanangus

ryanangus Active Member

Pretty much as you wrote but:

1. Backup in iTunes
    2. Upgrade to 3.1.2
    3. When in iTunes it'll offer to restore or set-up as new iPod (before it shows sync screen), click 'restore from backup', it's the same name as your iPod.
    4. Jailbreak with Blackra1n
    5. Resync, etc.

Done!

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Saggy

Saggy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Awesome, and doing that will cause nothing to be lost, correct? I'm honestly not too worried about losing some jailbroken apps (I'd prefer to be able to keep them though

), it's just I have music and photos and notes and stuff that I'd prefer not to lose.
  4. Number8

Number8 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Music won't be backed up, but photos and notes will be.
  5. prozach9292

prozach9292 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Is your ipod already jailbroken on the 2.2.1 software? I have been wanting to upgrade to 3.1.2 as well, but I don't know whether I need to restore my ipod to take it off of the jailbreak first in order to upgrade.
  6. Saggy

Saggy New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yeah, my iPod is already jailbroken, guess I should have stated that

7. prozach9292

prozach9292 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So by backing it up it only will save some of the data like photos and stuff but not music? And once you upgrade to the new fw it resets the ipod? I don't want to have to reinstall almost 3,800 songs. It's such a pain. There has to be a way to avoid that
  8. gammaraptor

gammaraptor New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    oh god xD I only actually put on 20 songs on my ipod

I never bothered upgrading because A - I'm Lazy B - I don't have the time.
  9. prozach9292

prozach9292 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Only 20 songs?! How can you not use your ipod for music? I remember when I first got an ipod, and it made listening to music so much more easy. The ipod touch just made it a million times better. Genius playlists are great.
  10. gammaraptor

gammaraptor New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm working on my music list defecate xD