"Upgraded" unconventionally - worried about problems

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by domyue, Nov 1, 2008.

1. domyue

domyue New Member

Hi guys,

I had 1.1.1 on my Touch 1G and tried to upgrade to v2.1 using an (5F137) ipsw I obtained. This first attempt failed somehow and it crashed with an error (6).

Then put iPod into DFU and then iTunes told me to restore it to 1.1.5. Instead, I shift-restored it using that v2.1 file I obtained and didn't follow itunes' recommendation.

My ipod boots and for the last few minutes working OK except that it's quite slow in general, and very worried that this unconventional method I used will cause bigger problems with the iPod in the future. In addition, it feels like the graphics and scrolling is a bit less smooth than my 1.1.1 firmware. Could it be that I'm just being more attentive to details I didnt notice before...?

In other words, it appears that I've "restored" it to a higher firmware. Is this generally allowed??
    Can someone tell me whether my funny method was OK going from 1.1.1 to 2.1??

This whole upgrading thing has given me a headache for the whole day! Thanks so much for your help!

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. sprint_user

sprint_user New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    just click restore, then itunes will download the real 2.1 and then restore it with that
  3. HaGGardSmurf

HaGGardSmurf New Member

Yea, your fine. I went from 1.1.1 jailbroken to 1.1.5 (without restoring, haha).
  4. domyue

domyue New Member

@sprint_user: Yeah i thought of restoring again but it seems like iTunes does not download the whole v2.1 afresh?? Doesn't it just use what your iPod already has inside/existing files?? Can anyone confirm this, thanks!

@HaGGardSmurf: 1.1.1 to 1.1.5 seems to be a smaller step than the one I took!! Besides, 1.1.5 was the one that Apple recommended me to restore to. But I chose to "restore" to the .ipsw I downloaded myself!
  5. domyue

domyue New Member

bump...

so does anyone know whether itunes downloads a fresh copy of 2.1 (i.e. another 240mb firmware file) to RESTORE my (currently v2.1) iPod??
    Or if it just uses existing files somehow?

Thanks
  6. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    If you have purchased a 2.* firmware you will get a downloaded update of the latest 2.1 f/w. If you didn't, you won't.

To sleep easy at night buy the 2.* firmware as apparently Apple can track if you haven't and progressively slow your device down until it no longer works and just goes into a loop and the friction created in the processing memory buffer PCMIA loop will cause it to melt.

(as with the cake, the second paragraph is a lie)