Upgrade to firmware 2.2 before using QuickPwn 2.2?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X' started by kn01zg, Dec 19, 2008.

1. kn01zg

kn01zg New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    My iPod touch has firmware version 1.x. However, the latest firmware as we all know is 2.2 and the latest QuickPwn software supports 2.2 as well. My question is, would I first have to use the iTunes restore method to upgrade my firmware to 2.0, then use iTunes again to upgrade to 2.2 so it has the signature file (so it won't have connectivity issues)? My basic plan for jail breaking is somewhat along those lines, upgrading to 2.0 (using a firmware file from the internet) and then to 2.2, using iTunes directly, and then finally using QuickPwn (when it gets to the step for selecting current firmware, I would have the genuine 2.2 firmware as well). I know that QuickPwn can't be used for upgrading the firmware or has that changed? Thank you in advance!
  2. rangersmith

rangersmith New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Get the 2.2 firmware from the net, put it on your desk top, then connect ipod up, in itunes hold down the left arrow key on the keyboard and press restore, a box will pop up and you can then choose the firmware on your desk top let it do its stuff and then use quickpwn to jailbreak 2.2.
  3. SolarFlare

SolarFlare New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Is your 1.x jailbroken? If not, you don't have to restore.
  4. E-Flow

E-Flow New Member

you could do this,

get teh 2.2 download of the net, then when u upgrade your ipod/iphone, hit restore, itunes will download the original ipsw from there server and that will hopefuly eliminate the conectivity problems
  5. kn01zg

kn01zg New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    First off, thanks for the answers guys. I really appreciate you helping me out. My ipod touch is not jailbroken yet. I have a copy of the 2.0 firmware so I think I'm going to the Shift+Restore in iTunes and update via that way. Then, i'll use itunes to upgrade to 2.2. Then finally use Quickpwn. How would that work out?
  6. SolarFlare

SolarFlare New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yes, but it isn't necessary. You could just update directly to 2.2 via iTunes without restoring.
  7. kn01zg

kn01zg New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    But don't you have to pay for the 2.0 if you're going from a 1.x firmware?
  8. SolarFlare

SolarFlare New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    True. He will have to pay, but updating through iTunes would just be easier.
  9. kn01zg

kn01zg New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Ok so just do the Shift+Restore but instead of choosing the 2.0, choose a 2.2 firmware file? Wouldn't that cause iTunes/iPod recognition problems? (and thanks so much for the quick responses! You're a big help.)
  10. SolarFlare

SolarFlare New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It shouldn't cause any problems; no. But instead of doing shift-restore, do shift-upgrade. Then you won't lose any of the data on your iPod.