iOS 4.0 Upgrade to 4.0 or not?

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by DZL1, Jul 22, 2010.

1. DZL1

DZL1 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Ok, so ive been reading and trying to decide/figure out what course of action i should take. I'm currently jbroken on 3.1.2. I have a 2nd gen mb model, 16 gig.

Correct me if im wrong but in order to upgrade, i would have to have my shsh blobs saved, correct? On cydia i said yes to save and now it says along the top: This device has its SHSHs on file for iphone os 4.0. Now does that mean that i DONT have to save my 3.1.2 blobs or do I? And the purpose of saving is for just in case I want to downgrade?

Also I've read that the 2gen wont get all the features of 4.0, but I also read that if you do some playlist editing you can get all features except for camera of course. Is that right?

Or would waiting for comex jailbreak be the best/easiest thing to do?

DZL1.
  2. Collateral

Collateral Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Don't update. 4.0 on 2nd gen ipod touch sucks.
  3. DZL1

DZL1 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Collateral, thanks for the reply. I've read that as well, but also read the opposite.

DZL1.
  4. mrez

mrez Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    it also drains your battery lighting fast
  5. percyrulz

percyrulz Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    hi i have a ipod touch 3g 32gb JAILBROKEN so do u guys suggest to upgrade it to ios4?????
  6. DZL1

DZL1 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    OK, so is the battery drain a bug with the jailbreak or something that just happens cause its a 2nd gen device? Thanks for the replies guys.

DZL1.
  7. shithead

shithead New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I'm using an iPhone 3GS.. I must admit that battery of 3.1.2 is quite good

Please Register or Log in to view images

Later my device was crashed and I need to reinstall the firmware again, but I did it with 3.1.3 and I must say that 3.1.3 is really a fail firmware.
    Now I'm on iOS4 and I must say I'm quite happy with it, also battery is acceptable, but probably not better than 3.1.2.

And now I miss Cydia :-(
  8. mohitrocks

mohitrocks Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    As far as I know, MB models have a bootrom exploit, so there will always be a jailbreak quick and fast for your device. I would say upgrade to 4.0, so you can get many additional features such as multitasking and wallpaper. Also, I'm pretty sure gamecenter is coming in 4.1, so if you want that, sooner or later you will have to upgrade. Since you can jailbreak in 4.0, I would say upgrade and get all the features that come with ios 4. It is true that normal ios 4 with 2g models doesn't have many features, but through .plist editing you can get all of the features (except camera). Also, if all you want is multitasking and wallpaper, just use redsn0w, and enable them through there. Its as simple as 1,2,3!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    As far as I know it isn't a bug, but rather the wallpaper and multitasking use too much of the battery and memory. If you do decide to update to 4.0 and jailbreak, I'm pretty sure every jailbroken app you have will be lost, but can be re-downloaded. Also, all the apps in cydia are not compatible with ios 4. Through my research, I found that many are compatible with ios 4, but many are not. There was a spreadsheet somewhere, but I can't find it and I think it isn't updated.

Also, there is a memory enhancing app, but people say it is bad (forgot why, it was somewhere in the ios4 forum) i think it is called imemoryenhance or something like that, but I'm pretty sure you can find it after adding all sources from steffwiz and searching up memory enhancer. Also, there is another way to speed up your device. Disabling or deleting (cant remember which) some unnecessary launch daemons. There was also a thread on this in the forums.
    Worry not, if everything goes well, comex hopes to get the jailbreak out in days (not weeks

) Lets hope the month long anticipation is finally over!!!!
  9. DZL1

DZL1 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Mohitrocks, thanks for that info. Now that you mention about the battery drain I remember reading that somewhere on this forum. I beleive that something with the wifi staying on or something like that contributing to the battery drain as well.

DZL1.
  10. mohitrocks

mohitrocks Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    No problem, here to help

Also, I think I have read that too. Someone reported wifi stays on even when turned off. Very odd, not sure if its true.
    Gee way to be specific