Upgrade to 3.0 jailbroken from 2.2 jailbroken.

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 3.0 Jailbreak' started by whizkid515, Jun 20, 2009.

1. whizkid515

whizkid515 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    I have a first generation iPod touch running firmware 2.2, jailbroken. I used FWChanger to report 2.2.1 because I did not want to rejailbreak (update and have to restore because I used PwnageTool, not QuickPWN) to get an app that turned out to actually work perfectly on 2.2 faked to 2.2.1. First off, can I simply upgrade to 3.0 official without any loss, or will I have to restore and then upgrade? Will my jailbroken apps remain there if I do redsn0w, or should I back them up through SSH? Sorry if this has been asked before, I just wanted to make sure with my specific case, using redsn0w 0.7 (mac), and upgrading from 2.2 (FWchanger 2.2.1) to 3.0. Thanks in advance!

whizkid515
  2. Swift

Swift Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    Restore then upgrade, when you upgrade to 3.0, your jailbroken status is broken and your apps are "hidden"...I doubt think they come back after you re-jailbreak on 3.0. Not quite sure how it works, but for your own sake, you should restore to 3.0 then jailbreak.
  3. whizkid515

whizkid515 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    That's what I read, but if I use redsn0w, which doesn't require a restore like PwnageTool (correct me if I'm wrong), will they be unhidden? I've never upgraded with a jailbreak until now. I really don't want to restore because it takes about 3 hours to load just my music onto my iPod touch. Also, I don't want to lose any stuff (e.g. Tap Tap songs). Also should I set my MobileMusicPlayer back to the Music and Video as separate icons, or will it change that back?
  4. KerrWasHere

KerrWasHere Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    nope you will have to use aptbackup in cydia and then update to 3.0
    DO NOT SYNC AFTER UPDATE
    then go to dev team's blog and get redtool
    follow the instructions and then go to cydia and get the source for [PIRACY]us (i dont think i can post it here, i hope you know what that is)
    they have a new package for 3.0, download that then sync
    you will keep all apps that you had and use aptbackup for your cydia packages
  5. whizkid515

whizkid515 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thanks for that. I don't use [PIRACY]us though, I don't pirate apps (although I do believe there should be a way to demo apps, especially the more expensive ones).
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    My remaining question: Do I have to restore, or can I simply upgrade? I know I'll lose my jailbroken apps, but I'm fine with that.

UPDATE: I updated to 3.0 no problems, then did redsn0w 0.7 and it's working great! I'm sad that statusnotifier and backgrounder aren't on 3.0 yet, but it's only been a few days, I'll give it some time. 3.0's great now!