Upgrade SSD?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by David91, Apr 23, 2009.

1. David91

David91 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I was just wondering, if this idea is at all possible, or if it would ever be possible given the hardware/software requirements.

I know the iPod Touch uses a SSD (Solid State Drive) composed of a board full of flash memory chips, and i was just wondering if there could ever be ANY way of replacing the current small SSD board with something bigger, say like 60GB. ive had a hunt round google and not really found anything.

has anyone had a look into this to see if it is indeed possible? or is there hardware or software issues that cannot be overcome?

Thanks

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The iPod Touch uses a Flash Memory chip, not an SSD. And it is possible but extremely difficult.
  3. David91

David91 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    has anyone attempted it? is there any proof that it works, and that the iPod Touch still worked fine afterwards?

this would be a thing i'd do after my warrenty was done.
  4. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I dont think anyone has ever tried to do this. I would think it is possible but i would never recommend doing this....So if you want a non-working iPod Touch i suggest you dont do this.
  5. David91

David91 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    seems that your right about the ipod touch using a Flash memory chip instead of a SSD. and the flash memory chip is located ON the logic board, which seems irreplaceable.

looks like you cant remove the chip to install a new one.
  6. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Even if you could, how would you get the OS on the new flash? Its not as simple as restore/upgrade with itunes. Is it?
  7. David91

David91 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    yeah i guessed it would take some doing, but i was hopeful that it could indeed be done.

nevermind

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. Riverdales27

Riverdales27 New Member

actually thats probably what you have to do. that person from tarkan upgraded his 5g/5.5g ipod hard drive to a compact flash card, and all you had to do when you replaced the hard drive to compact flash was have restoring it on itunes then you can store music and what not on it.

did a search on google for upgrading ipod touch memory and had this come up. maybe thats why you don't hear anyone doing it cause like you said irreplaceable.
  9. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    There is no way to upgrade the memory on the ipod touch.

Easy as that.