Upgrade/link a new iPod to iTunes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DemonIced, Sep 3, 2010.

1. DemonIced

DemonIced Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Hi guys!

I think I already saw a thread on this a while ago, but couldn't find it, so please link me to another thread if this has already been done.

I'll be buying the iPod Touch 4 when it will come out and I plan to sell my 64gb 3rd generation one.

So I would like to know if there is a way to tell iTunes that it's a new iPod replacing the old one instead of just activating another device on my iTunes. Is there a need/way to deactivate the old one?

Also should there be any problem if I use restore from back-up on my new iPod to get back all my savedata and notes after syncing it the first time?

Thanks!
  2. koolmon10

koolmon10 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    when you first plug the new ipod in to itunes, it should give you an option to restore from a previous backup of any ipod backed up on that computer. just make sure you backup your old ipod right before you plug in the new one so you have the most recent data possible.
    there should be no reason to deactivate the old ipod, just erase all the data on it (make sure everything transferred to the new ipod first)
    PS itunes backup backs up a copy of all the device specific data, so basically, notes, music, app data (very important), etc.
    everything except the firmware. (i believe)
  3. DemonIced

DemonIced Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Ok great, so there is not a limit of iPods I can link to my iTunes account? Because there is a limitation of computers though...
  4. koolmon10

koolmon10 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I don't think there is a limit on idevices.