iOS 4.0 Upgrade iPT3 from 3.1.2 to 4.x

Discussion in 'iOS Jailbreak & Cydia' started by Zagorath, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Zagorath

Zagorath New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    I know this may seem like a really basic question, but I haven't been able to find simple enough instructions on how to do it. I have an iPod Touch 3rd gen (32 GB), currently jailbroken with blackra1n on my PC. However, I want to upgrade it from 3.1.2 to 4.x, and still keep my jailbreak. I've never actually upgraded my iPod since my first jailbreak, so I'm not sure how to go about this.

I would rather not have to unjailbreak first, since that would (I assume) mean loosing my current jailbreak apps. However, if it is necessary I don't mind having to do it.

The catch, is that my last jailbreak was on a PC, but I'm working on switching over to my new Mac. I've already got the simpler things syncing, such as contacts, bookmarks, etc., and am soon going to begin syncing apps, music, and videos. After I've got that complete, I'd like to upgrade to iOS4, and preferably keep my jailbreak, all from my Mac, without ever having to connect to the PC again. I'm wondering whether this is possible, and if so, how to do it. I don't mind using any jailbreak software; the simplest for my given situation will do. That said, even if it requires a bit more work, I'd be willing to do it if I could get untethered, as I am currently on a tethered jailbreak.

Anyway, I hope that wasn't too long to read. Thanks in advance for any help I get, I greatly appreciate it.
  2. ipitouchy

ipitouchy New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Well, as far as I am aware, there is no way to switch to a higher firmware without losing your jailbreak. You can restore to the jailbreakme.com custom ipsw, but I think that will lose you your jailbreak apps.

Oh, and FYI: jailbreakme.com is a site that jailbreaks you right from safari on your iDevice.
  3. tshah21

tshah21 Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Sorry bro, you're gonna have to lose your jailbreak. Make a list of all your jailbreak apps or something

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Zagorath

Zagorath New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Oh cool, thanks. I've heard there were some problems with that website. Can you verify it's as safe as any other jailbreak? If memory serves (and I have a bad memory, so it may not), the problem may have just been it was so popular the servers couldn't handle it, so that would be fixed by now I assume. But I'm just checking to make sure. Also, is it untethered? Even if not, it does seem a very appealing option, if it's safe, and works properly.

Thanks mate, I probably would have done that anyway, just in case lol.
    It's nice to see I'm not the only list-maker around here.
    It'll be a short list anyway, since the main reason I want to upgrade is to remove the need for heaps of my apps, like Winterboard (I only use it for pictures, as well as some other things that I've actually since decided I prefer the normal way, like removing text labels on apps), and Backgrounder: unlike most people, I believe iOS4 will have sufficient backgrounding for me.
    (EDIT: Oh, and of course Categories, which is annoyingly slow)

Anyway, thanks for the tips, both you guys. They're really helpful

EDIT: I just realised that jailbreakme.com only works up until iOS version 4.0.1. iTunes only allows me to upgrade to the latest version of the iOS, which is 4.0.2. Can I expect jailbreakme.com to update to support this soon? Or is there some way I can upgrade to 4.0.1, and not 4.0.2?
  5. shortperson1026

shortperson1026 Active Member

Just be sure to update to 4.0 and NOT 4.0.2

You can download 4.0 for the iPod Touch 3G here: http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...20100621.AzSP9/iPod3,1_4.0_8A293_Restore.ipsw

Another thing, you have to follow this guide, but instead of restoring to the firmware it says, restore to the 4.0 firmware. The SHSH sig checks will NOT let you restore to 4.0, since the newest firmware is 4.0.1. By editing the hosts file on your computer, you bypass that system.

heres the guide:

1. Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

If on a mac: C:/private/etc/hosts

2. add these lines to the file (open it in notepad)
    Restart iTunes, shift+click (or opt+click on a mac) the restore button and browse for your downloaded 4.0 firmware.

Tada

6. Zagorath

Zagorath New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Should I then remove these entries a while after it's finished updating? It seems to me (although I could very easily be wrong) that this would prevent iTunes from updating itself, and possibly prevent other applications which commonly connect to the internet from functioning as normal.

But thanks for the tip, once I'm ready to upgrade this looks like it could do the job.
  7. pyromatic

pyromatic New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    It should be fine to leave the host file after it has been changed. As it only changes something related to checking if your device is allowed the firmware it is being upgraded too. So it does not affect itunes ability to update.
  8. Zagorath

Zagorath New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Oh OK, brilliant! Thanks for the help everyone!
  9. pyromatic

pyromatic New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    OK @Zagorath what shortperson posted as changes to the host file did not work for me. use 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com this instead. The other code did something to itunes and made it impossible to access the servers and itunes store! remove that code as it makes itunes not work with the store.
    It also made my internet indicator think I had no internet access but I was still surfing ipodtouchfans.
  10. shortperson1026

shortperson1026 Active Member

I made a small error.

those lines should just be one line... and it's this one

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com