Upgrade + 2.1.1

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 2.X Jailbreak' started by gymtonic, Sep 21, 2008.

1. gymtonic

gymtonic New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    is it worth it to upgrade from a 2.0.2 j/b to a 2.1jb.
    and, can i upgrade from my 2.0.2 to 2.1, i dont want to restore, i would rather loose 500mb of space than loose all my apps.

AND,
    when looking at the Wikipedia page for the iPod Touch, how come it says the latest firmware is "2.1.1 (Build 5F138)"?
  2. wcdeo1

wcdeo1 New Member

ever heared of the 2G ipod touch? it comes with FW 2.1.1 ... but you cant jailbreak it..
  3. gymtonic

gymtonic New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    actually, that made sense, I forgot about the 2G when I posted before
  4. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

You lose all the apps no matter what as the root partition gets wiped in an upgrade. The difference between that and a restore-and-upgrade is that the upgrade only kills root, and leaves the Media portion intact. However, App Store apps are resynced when you sync in iTunes.
  5. gymtonic

gymtonic New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    thanks for all the info, i restore, but i used aptbackup from Cydia, I'm following BigBoss' instructions, first time i didnt follow them properly and restored from a screwed up back-up and ended up getting a SWOD, about to restore again now to get rid of the SWOD
  6. Appstore 2.0

Appstore 2.0 New Member

Either way dude, it's worth it. Jailbroken 2.1 is as stable as jailbroken 1.1.4, so it's totally worth upgrading from 2.0.x.
  7. gunzmaiet

gunzmaiet New Member

you dont have to restore, i upgraded and it still works
  8. RedrumsSam

RedrumsSam Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    It's totally worth it. I used quickpwn to get to a jb'd 2.1 last night, synced & everything to make the ipod mine again and went to bed. Today I was listening to music on it at work wit an old pair of headphones from my 4th gen cause I ruined the ones that came with my touch. Before moving to 2.1 the old headphones sounded "tinny", like high treble, no bass, pretty crappy. Now, the old headphones don't sound bad at all unless I'm listening to a song with lots of bass. I bet the better headphones would sound incredible. I really think the sound quality was improved with 2.1 and I haven't heard anyone mention it yet.....

Anyways, that, the Genius playlist feature(which is f-ing awesome when you have a library that varies a lot in genre like I do), and the stability make it completely worth the hassle of upgrading.