updating

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sjleworthy, Oct 4, 2008.

1. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    sorry for the nube question, but please bear with me...

my Touch is jail broken to 1.1.2. I'd like to upgrade to the latest jail broken os (whatever that is). Has this process gotten any more straight forward, because when i first jail broke to 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 it wasn't too easy and long winded. is it now easier and simpler?

please can you either advise or point me in the direction of a thread that'll explain all and get me updated. I'm a techie nube, so as long as it's straight forward and step by step i'll be ok.

Please Register or Log in to view images

secondly, why upgrade? silly question maybe, but what will the latest jb version do for me that 1.1.2 wont?

thanks
  2. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Click upgrade in iTunes. Pay £10. OR use google.

Firmware 2.1 brings this to the iPod.

- AppStore
    - Legal 3rd party apps
    - Wiggly Icons, meaning you can move them. (hes still on 1.1.2 remember)
    - Bug fixes
    - Genius Playlists
    - Significantly better battery life for most users
    - Dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes
    - Improved email reliability, notably fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts
    - Push Email, Contacts and Calenders
    - Fixed bugs causing hangs and crashes for users with lots of third party applications
    - Faster loading and searching of contacts
    - MobileMe Support
    - Better Email Management
    - Additional Languages
    - Email Attachment Support
    - Scientific Calculator
    - Option to wipe data after ten failed passcode attempts.

Make sure you are using iTunes 8. Connect your iPhone to your computer Download iTunes 8

When iTunes opens, select your iPhone under Devices in the Source List on the left.

In the iPhone Summary pane, click Check for Update.

Click Download and Install. Do not disconnect your iPhone until the update has finished.
  3. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    thanks, but all of the above is obvious anyway. i was taking about upgrading my JB version.
  4. eric_chaos

eric_chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    hahahahhaha.
    "nube"
  5. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    ok, let me re-word my question.....

is there anyone in these 'ipod touch fans' forums that can possibly help and advise me, considering i dont know the technicalities of my ipod? someone mature enough to actually help or point me in the general direction for help to my questions without a thread full of sarcasm and 'look at this nube lets make fun' comments (which looks again like it will) ?

all i want and politly asked for is some basic help. can anyone do that? or tell me another forum somewhere i could go to that let nubes ask questions?

i understand forum banter as i actually moderate and help run 2 or 3 large ones myself, so i'm no stranger to them, but whenever i want Touch help for my ipod i always kinda fear comming here because of the general replies i've gotten in the past.

so, i got 1 or 2 questions i wouldn't mind asking. am i free to ask and expect proper answers? or am i in the wrong place?

thanks guys

6. camogirlster

camogirlster New Member

Hey sjleworthy,

Here's what I've heard you'd need to do to upgrade your firmware.
    I'm actually considering doing this myself soon.
    First restore your iPod to it's un-jailbroken state, via iTunes.
    Then install the firmware you want, making sure the firmware you choose is jailbreakable. (there are many videos on youtube, on how to 'upgrade ipod touch firmware' just search for something like that)
    Then jailbreak it.
    You now have a jailbroken iPod Touch, with _._._ firmware. (Whichever one you installed)

Reason for upgrading? The newer firmware is way better.

Also, I believe the post by 'thehitman' is pretty helpful in the way of explaining how to "upgrade" your iPod, and he also listed many reasons why you should so.

-Camogirlster
  7. Gitykins

Gitykins Banned

1) Upgrade
    2) Jailbreak using QuickPwn [http://blog.iphone-dev.org]

You will lose everything, and no, you can't save it in any workable manner.

Reasons to upgrade:

AppStore
    Cydia
    WinterBoard
    More community support
    Wiggly Icons
    MobileSubstrate to save you from SWOD's
    Installer (pfft lul JK)
    Easy to JB
    saurik is epic
  8. Yongkykun

Yongkykun Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    that part cracked me up... ever since I updated to 2.1, my iPod charges up real fast, but the battery lasts only for about 3-4 hours on wifi as opposed to the usual 5 hours on previous fw. And I finally reaped the benefit of not JBing. The last time I JB'ed my iPod, my mail app crashes, some 3rd party apps crashes, have problems updating apps over Apps Store, and the list goes on and on. But now the only problem that I have is the battery life. But that's probably due to the fact that my iPod is 10 months old, maybe the battery is starting to drop or something.
  9. sjleworthy

sjleworthy New Member

Device:
    iPad w/ 3G
    thanks guys, didn't mean to sound off there too much.

if i return to un jb state in itunes, then upgrade the system, will all my music stay where it is or will i need to install all my music again?

To be honest, i'm not interested in a JB version. all i use my Touch for is music and wifi. i dont even know what things like 'summerboard' means, and i certainly dont play games on it (except for isolitaire) i'd be quite happy paying for and installing the latest firmware.

but.....isolitaire is a must

is there now a version i can download or buy without a JB system?

also, will i be able to buy/download the usual apps i use like weather, notes, maps etc etc

actually, what exactly WILL i be able to buy/free down load for a non JB system? (i didn't find the applestore too apparent)
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    final question or 2 ....

when i upgrade, i must first 'restore' via itunes. is this correct? cant i just upgrade?

and most importantly, will i loose or have to re-sync all my music or will it stay unaffected? someone on another forum said i'll need to re-sync.