Updating iPod Touch 2G to pre-iOS 4.0

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Freshmilk1, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Freshmilk1

Freshmilk1 New Member

Hey, guys, I could do with some help.

A friend has recently gave me her iPod to perform an update and jailbreak, though I havn't really had much success. I have an iPod touch 2g on iOS 4.0, jailbroken, but it's quite slow and buggy. Therefore, I deicded I'd only update my friend's iPod as far as 3.1.3, and jailbreak on that firmware, for more stability.

Firstly, I tried simply downloading the corresponding firmware and simply restoring the iPod by pressing shift and click in iTunes. I selected the firmware, and then a lengthy installation process took place, which saw the iPod reboot into recovery mode and appear to install the update. However, after the iPod has rebooted, iTunes gave me a 3194 error and all the iPod's apps and files were intact. I tried it twice, and then google'd the problem.

After a little research, I've learnt that Apple have recently started signing firmwares in an attempt to stop people from downgrading iPods. I wanted to ask, simply, is there any way to update to older firmwares now? If it helps, the iPod I'm trying to update is currently on firmware 2.2.1, and is a 16gb 2nd Gen MB model. I'm on Windows XP. Thanks in advance.

tl;dr: Is there any way to update 2G iPod touches to pre-iOS 4.0 firmwares after Apple have started signing firmwares?