Updating ipod 2g

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by bigboybz, Oct 21, 2009.

1. bigboybz

bigboybz New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm updating my jailbroken ipod touch 2g to 3.0, and I'm wondering what is the best software to store all the ipod's apps, music, and extra cydia apps?
  2. aced6

aced6 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    To copy downloaded content, you will need a program such as WinSCP or iPhoneBrowser (both are free).

1st: If you have purchased your apps legally, iTunes can back them up on your computer. If you bought them on the iPod, just transfer purchases (it is a menu item somewhere... I forget exactly). You will lose your saved data, but the app will be able to be installed on your iPod again. If you didn't get the apps through iTunes legally, then you need only copy the original *.ipa file of the app to your computer, which can either be re-installed with iTunes or installed directly on the iPod.

2nd: Your music is backed up on your hard drive, so updating the iPod won't delete the music from your computer. You just simply need to sync the iPod once it's updated and all your music will be back. If you downloaded the music directly to the iPod, you need to make a copy on your computer. Use one of the programs I mentioned above to navigate to ~/Library/ (I think it's there on 2.2.1) and copy your entire Downloads folder to your computer. All the content can be copied back to your iPod after the upgrade.

3rd: I don't think it's easy to back up Cydia apps. They install files all over the iPod, so tracking them down will be very difficult. Your best option is to simply take note of which apps you have installed, and re-install them after the upgrade (just make sure they're 3.0 compatible first!). If you bought them through the Cydia Store, they are linked to either a Facebook or Google account, so you simply need to enter your account information, and all your purchases can be recovered.

Hope this helps!